Extra devices show up in my FFS allotment (licensing)

Get help for specific problems

JDB

Hello,

I just upgraded my OS to Windows 10. (I know... I know... bad idea.) Well, what's done is done. At least I can run Turbotax again.

When I visit the FFS Home Page to check my status, I see that I have consumed 3 FFS device allowances:
Screenshot_2020-11-03 FreeFileSync.png
Screenshot_2020-11-03 FreeFileSync.png (13.36 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Rolling over with the mouse reveals that the first 2 are Windows 10, and the 3rd is Windows 7, which I assume that I can remove (but all that does is place a trash can icon next to the name, while it takes 30 days for actual deletion to occur.)

Why do I have TWO Windows 10 "devices"? How can I figure out which one can be deleted? If I remove one, will it keep coming back? Yesterday I received an error message about hitting my 3 device limit. Was my system trying to create a 4th device? (sorry I didn't save the exact wording and I can't locate the error in any log files)

The only thing I can think of is that during the migration, I copied the GlobalSettings.xml file from Windows 7 to Windows 10, created two additional user profiles, and changed the location of the Session and Log files. However, I am fairly certain that I only installed FFS once, and I don't see how any of these customizations would have incremented the device count.

I don't want to remove devices and reinstall the software because I am afraid that will lock me out for 30 days by increasing the device count above my limit.

Any ideas?

-JDB
Site Admin

Zenju

Should be resolved now. FreeFileSync used an heuristic in the past in order to determine "unused" devices, e.g. it discarded activations older than half a year.
This wasn't very exact, so the handling was changed (last week) to allow users themselves to mark individual devices as unused/obsolete by following the link in the error message.

JDB

Thank you Zenju,

The old Windows 7 device has disappeared, but there are still two Windows 10 devices in the list, and I don't know which is the active one. If I mark both as removed, and then reinstall the software, will my Session configuration files be preserved, or am I going to have to reload them all?

Thanks,
-JDB

xCSxXenon

The sync configurations are saved locally and aren't removed upon uninstallation. Unless you store them in the program files folder, they might get deleted, but don't do that, that's bad