Schedule Task Run forever and No minimized process

Get help for specific problems

profoundisputes

I am running Windows 10 with FreeFileSync 11.3 and I scheduled a task to run a ffs_batch file every morning at 7am. I wanted the window to pop up so that I can view the transfer everyday.

When I run the ffs_batch file manually by double clicking, the gui pops and runs just as expected.

When the task in task scheduler runs the ffs_batch file the window does not popup and there is no minimized process to click on. I do hear the chime for when the sync is complete but no gui at all. Using process explorer it just shows a parent process of FreeFileSync.exe (Child of svchost.exe) with a child process of FreeFileSync_x64.exe. I tried right clicking the process in process explorer and going to "windows" to try and bring it forward but its grey out. When I end the task in the Task Scheduler manager I end up with a FreeFileSync_x64.exe process constantly running in the background. Which I have to kill forcefully in process explorer.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

profoundisputes

Figured it out. I have "Run whether user is logged on or not" checked. I put it on "Run only when user is logged on" and it solved the issue.

gazzar

@profoundisputes - Thanks for posting this. I had same issue, and came to the same conclusion. My preference is to setup the task to run even when the specified user is not logged on, so I am ensured my files are backed up every night at midnight, even if someone has logged out the specified user account...

I would like to better understand why "Run whether user is logged on or not" launches two FFS background processes. This seems to hang FFS, but I don't understand why.

Does anyone know why this happens?

xCSxXenon

Yes, when run as SYSTEM, it won't show the GUI which is what that checkbox controls. The two FFS entries is normal behavior from what I have seen