Error codes, please help!

Get help for specific problems

Stubri

Hi, I have been syncing my two externals for a while, all fine.

Recently when I run a Sync, I always get these two messages appear, which I ignore and continue. (plase see attached).

Not sure why, and how I can stop it happening every time?

Cheers.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 15.23.59.png
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 15.23.59.png (179.87 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 15.23.53.png
Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 15.23.53.png (210.94 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

Plerry

The message seems clear enough: the user under which the FFS task is run apparently does not have access to said directory. This may e.g. happen when running a scheduled task that is not configured to run under user credentials for which access rights to said directory exist.

Stubri

Thanks Plerry. It has worked fine for the last 12 months, but has just started showing this problem every time now.
I have changed nothing.
There is only one thing I can think of that may have happened at that time .... I asked FFS to Sync the two drives, but didn't realise one of them was not switched on. Could that have caused the problem?
And how can I stop it happening?
I have always had this set ut a disc 1 plugged into the Mac, and disc 2 plugged into that disc (daisychain?), disk 1 is work, disk 2 a backup of tht disc.

Plerry

Excuse my ignorance; I am not familiar with Mac-s.
But, you may try to open said directory via a file-browser (Finder?).
If you can't, you have a more generic problem and not so much an FFS problem.

Stubri

No probs (Mac OS 10.15.7)
Not sure what I can look at really. Macs are somewhat drag and drop on the finder, both disks are on the desktop. When you say open the directory in a browser-file, I'm not sure what you mean to do.
I can of course open the FFS software.
On the desktop I am able to open and see the files on both external drives.

Stubri

I have no schedules set, I just manuallty ask it to sync each day.

xCSxXenon

The revisions folder might have permissions that restrict access

Stubri

"The revisions folder might have permissions that restrict access"

I'm sorry I have no idea in a practical way, what this means.

hermanthemexican

Hello, I keep having this problem and have reported it in the past, unfortunately I have not been able to fix it. The document revisions folder (.DocumentRevisions-V100) has a 'no access' sign, no matter what I do, I can't change the permissions on it to allow changes by ffs (despite the fact that I have full disk access for all the other folders.
This is the message I get every time,

Cannot open directory "/Volumes/El 6/.DocumentRevisions-V100".

EACCES: Permission denied [opendir]

I have to click ignore to go pass it, but it happens every time.
Thank you.

Plerry

If there is no need to sync the .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, you can add it to your Exclude Filter.
You should be able to do so e.g. via the FFS GUI, by right-clicking the folder and selecting to Exclude it.

hermanthemexican

Thank you for the information Plerry. I did not create that folder, and assume it was created by ffs, do you know what would be the disadvantage of not syncing it? Thank you.

Plerry

The .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder is not created by FFS, but by "something" in the MAC-OS, see e.g. here.
It does not seem to be fully clear what the purpose is of that folder.

But regarding your statement:
> I have to click ignore to go pass it, but it happens every time.
By ignoring the error that said folder can not be accessed, it will still not be synced (as it can not be accessed).
Adding the .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder to your Exclude Filter will obviously still not sync that folder, but will save you the annoyance of the error message and having to ignore it every time.

hermanthemexican

Now it is clear, thank you for your response, and patience. Now my workflow is working seamlessly.