FR: FFS as tree-true duplicate cleaner

Discuss new features and functions

styrobrain

In the "Synchronization Settings" dialog on the "Synchronization (F8)" tab I'd like to have "Both sides are identical" listed as another... well... "Difference".

As possible "Actions" for that "Difference" I'd like to have "Do nothing", "Delete left item" and "Delete right item".

I think the desired effect is apparent.

I did not find this exact suggestion made before; apologies if I missed it.

I am aware of Plerry's suggestion to achieve the same effect manually.

I am also aware of FFS not being a duplicate cleaner and not being supposed to becomeone. I use several dedicated duplicate cleaners, both free and commercial ones, find them all lacking in individual ways and in one common one.

I was never able to pinpoint what I was missing from all dedicated duplicate cleaners until I stumbled over mam3's search for one for that very shortcoming: disregard for the directory tree.

FFS operates on directory pairs in parallel relative directory hierarchies. That is what I often need from a duplicate cleaner, but so far I did not find one that does so (suggestions welcome). They all aim to find files somewhere in some hierarchy.

In short: FFS (and oly FFS) already spots the very duplicates I sometimes want to remove. So it might as well remove them.

xCSxXenon

That, again, is no longer syncing and becomes a different tool

therube

Salamander Directory Compare.png
Salamander Directory Compare.png (33.02 KiB) Viewed 874 times
FFS operates on directory pairs in parallel relative directory hierarchies. That is what I often need from a duplicate cleaner
(Depending on just what you're looking for) a file manager may be an adequate tool.
For comparing two sets of directories, a file manager (like), Altap Salamander may fit the bill.

It can also compare subdirectories (but only tell you if differences exist in the subs - until you visit the actual subs). But for saying compare DirA & DirB, it can work very well.

styrobrain

That, again, is no longer syncing and becomes a different tool xCSxXenon, 12 Feb 2021, 19:05
Couple of potential responses:
1. Yes, but why bother?
2. Yes, but not by much. So why bother much?
3. Mnnnyeah, maybe... but why not retrofit existing functionality somewhat to double the tools's applicability?
4. Not at all, because synchronicity merely means one thing's state being reflected in another thing's state. Identity of both states is just one reflection. Complementarity is another one.

styrobrain

Salamander Directory Compare.png
FFS operates on directory pairs in parallel relative directory hierarchies. That is what I often need from a duplicate cleaner
(Depending on just what you're looking for) a file manager may be an adequate tool.
For comparing two sets of directories, a file manager (like), Altap Salamander may fit the bill.

It can also compare subdirectories (but only tell you if differences exist in the subs - until you visit the actual subs). But for saying compare DirA & DirB, it can work very well. therube, 17 Feb 2021, 20:41
Thank you, I did not know Altap Salamander, and it looks very inviting. However, its limitations towards my needs -- you point them out -- are severe.

I found Ghisler TotalCommander to be adequate towards my needs on the file level, but lacking in the tree navigation FSF excels in.

Thus I uphold my original suggestion.