Linux install - download or flatpak?

Discuss new features and functions

QuasarXZebulon

I used to install FreeFileSync via a PPA in Linux, but that PPA quit working at some point, so I switched to just downloading it from the FreeFileSync site and manually extracting it. It runs great, though I do need to manually update it when a new version comes out. Not a big deal, since the downloading and extracting run without a hitch.

However, I do notice it is now possible to install FFS via flatpak. I've only recently begun installing some applications via flatpak, though so far, so good. It seems to work fine. Flathub.org lists FFS as available for installing: https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync

Is there any advantage to installing FFS via flatpak versus simply downloading it? Will the flatpak one update with the regular repository update system? That might be a little bit of an advantage. Is that Flathub.org install of it trustworthy?
Site Admin

Zenju

Third-party distributions of FreeFileSync usually fail to integrate all the bug-fixes mentioned in the source code bundle (code compiles? => they're done) and also add their own "flavor" of extra tweaks and changes that the distributor thinks "improve" FreeFileSync. The result probably shouldn't be called "FreeFileSync" at this point, but something else.

That said, the next FreeFileSync release will offer an official Linux installer (and auto-updater in case of the donation edition) as a single .run file:

Here's the current Linux beta version: https://www.mediafire.com/file/96kc8kgmntu7s4a/FreeFileSync_11.6_beta_Linux.tar%25282%2529.gz

bgstack15

Flatpak, like Snap and AppImage, is a decent way to get an application deployed to disparate GNU/Linux systems. Everybody's got different versions of glibc and other major dependencies, and some programs need very certain versions of key libraries, so a Flatpak bundles all the dependencies together.
I also agree with Zenju's description of how third-party distributions of the software will most likely not include the bug-fixes that FreeFileSync is famous for.
FreeFileSync's binary release is really good at being cross-platform. Zenju statically compiles the FileFileSync (and RTS) so it has minimal dependencies; basically any modern GNU/Linux will run it just fine.
I always compile FreeFileSync for myself from source because I'm obsessive about being able to build what I use, but I do also test the binary release each time to make sure my compiled one does what the real one does.

QuasarXZebulon

Thanks for you guys' feedback. I might just become a donating patron to get access to your official auto updater. I've used this thing for years, and it's the best tool I've found in Linux for backing up my work file. Back in my Windows days, I used a proprietary paid utility that was good, but I wouldn't say it's better than FFS. I've donated to GNU open source projects like LibreOffice and CherryTree before. FreeFileSync is a really good one. Thanks for making it. Can I ask what language it's written in?

harmonia2side

One difference I noted between these two is that the flatpak version (apparently?) does not include command line support. If you need to run any bash script with freefilesync (for running batch files, for example), you'll have to download the site version.
I'm not sure this was actually done on purpose, but at least until now I haven't found a way to do it. If anyone knows how, do share.