Main Sync Toolbar; Icons Only When Too Small

Discuss new features and functions

lawrence-dol

Can the main toolbar button reduce to icons only when there is not enough space to display them, pretty please? Could the icons also proportionally shrink with vertical space available?

I like to put this toolbar at the top, and next to the comparison results. I know the program well and don't need the "Compare" and "Synchronize" text, nor the subtext describing what/how to sync. And I'd like the now composite banner to be only as high as the minimum needed for the results.

But for my work desktop and laptop screen, there is not enough space to put them side-by-side because the button are gigantic.

(Incidentally, and quite separately, in Linux Mint all UI elements are overly large.)
Attachments
With space for changes in both directions, the sync buttons are lost. This is the proportions I'd like, and there's enough space if only the icons are shown.
With space for changes in both directions, the sync buttons are lost. This is the proportions I'd like, and there's enough space if only the icons are shown.
2021-03-11 16_26_37-Capture.png (23.21 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
Not even enough space for sync in one direction.
Not even enough space for sync in one direction.
2021-03-11 16_23_13-Capture.png (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
Buttons at minimal size causes results to truncate on right.
Buttons at minimal size causes results to truncate on right.
2021-03-11 16_20_43-Capture.png (23.83 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
This is what I am forced to do right now.
This is what I am forced to do right now.
FFS-Gui.png (26.61 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
Site Admin

Zenju

I don't know, a compressed main button area doesn't look great:
compressed.PNG
compressed.PNG (16.9 KiB) Viewed 572 times

This looks better, but at the cost of functionality (the config buttons)
compressed-max.PNG
compressed-max.PNG (12.31 KiB) Viewed 572 times

Perhaps a better solution would be to allow to integrate into the left vertical area?
vertical stack.PNG
vertical stack.PNG (17.94 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Integrating this alternative layout would be quite some work (and continous maintenance!) as it's a bit more than a simple layout orientation swap. But it's unclear how many users would be aware this is even a possibility?
I fear it might not be many: I just noticed that the view filter panel's vertical layout is broken (fixed for FFS 11.24), but nobody ever complained. Same for the config panel horizontal layout (also fixed in 11.24)
view filter - vertical.PNG
view filter - vertical.PNG (24.3 KiB) Viewed 572 times
config panel - horizontal.PNG
config panel - horizontal.PNG (53.07 KiB) Viewed 572 times

Just some food for thought. There may be other layout improvements.

lawrence-dol

I think your first "Compressed.png" layout looks great. That particular set of buttons is overly large, IMO, and I would prefer they were the same size as the configuration buttons.