Error_Access_Denied Accessis denied(CopyFileEx)

Get help for specific problems

Mearnshowe

Can someone explain why I get this error when copy 1.6Gb of Folders to a new USB attached 4Gb Portable drive. I have administrator rights and checked security and permissions. Copies the bulk of the data and fails at the end with the above error message. Windows 10 64Bit.
Attachments
synch error.JPG
synch error.JPG (90.41 KiB) Viewed 1585 times

Gianni1962

This error may also be the result of an open file.

What is your antivirus?
Try to sync with the antivirus disabled.

Mearnshowe

Trend Micro Maximum Security is my Antivirus. Can't think any files are open, but will investigate.

Gianni1962

I meant opened by a real-time virus-scan

Mearnshowe

Problem solved, the antivirus was obviously checking files as they were being copied and blocking there progress. Software works a treat and saved a power of work. Is there anyway to educate the Antivirus that freefilesync is bonified and legit and allows it to work unhindered?
Thanks for the quick reply earlier.
Regards
Douglas

Gianni1962

If you press Retry when the Access denied error pops-up, does the sync complete successfully?

I don't know of a way to tell your antivirus not to scan files copied "by" a particular app so the solution eventually is disabling the real-time part of your antivirus for the time needed to do the sync.

The problem is not FreeFileSync.exe's reputation but is the real-time scanning on the copied files when the write completes on the destination disk.

FFS first copies the file with a .ffs_tmp extension, then if the copy is completed without errors, it deletes the old file, if any, and rename the copied file with the extension .mov.

Probably the real-time scanning takes place in the mid of those operations, and due to the file dimension it needs a consistent amount of time thus impeding FFS to complete its things.

xCSxXenon

Get rid of third-party and bad antivirus, problem solved