Feature request: in Overview column with additional size that will be occupied on the destination

Discuss new features and functions

vds

Is it possible to add a column for every folder in the overview pane with the additional size that the data that will copied will occupy in the destination folder?

I can find information concerning the amount of data that will be copied to the destination but that is different from the additional size that that data will occupy in the destination and I can't find that information at this moment (or maybe i'm missing something).

Thanks for the great program!

therube

additional size that the data that will copied will occupy in the destination folder?
Are you speaking of something like Slack space?
Or compression that may be going on on one end or the other?
Or alternate data streams?

vds

I was referring to the difference in free discspace before and after the synchronization process has run.

For example if I choose to delete files permanently and the synchronization method "mirror" is selected:
If the size of a source folder is 1,5GB and the size of the corresponding destination folder is 1,0GB; after synchronizing that folder an additional 500MB of discspace will be occupied on the destination drive.

The statistics mention the amount of data that will be copied but not how much discspace I need to be able to run the synchronization process. It could be that after the synchronization process has ended I have more free discspace than before the synchronization process has run but at this moment I have clue about that.

xCSxXenon

You can use the filter boxes at the bottom of the compare window to only show certain actions, that will also show you how much space each action if going to use/free

vds

You can use the filter boxes at the bottom of the compare window to only show certain actions, that will also show you how much space each action if going to use/free
And where can I see how much space each action is going to use/free??

In the statistics is mentioned: "total bytes to copy" and "number of files that will be created/updated/deleted".

xCSxXenon

Bottom of the compare window

vds

If I have a file with a size of 10Mb in the source folder and a file with the same name in the destination folder with a size of 8Mb I can see that FreeFileSync will copy 10Mb to the destination folder but I can't find anywhere that the destination folder will grow with 2Mb (after the sync process has overwritten the destination file with the file in the source folder).

Can you maybe show a screenshot where I can find that the destination folder will grow with 2Mb?

xCSxXenon

It won't say the explicitly. You would have to compare the left and right sizes and do the math in your head

Plerry

> If I have a file with a size of 10Mb in the source folder and a file with the same name in the destination folder with a size of 8Mb ... will grow with 2Mb (after the sync process has overwritten the destination file with the file in the source folder)

Note, that by default FFS will first copy over the 10M new file, and only after that was successful, it will delete the old 8M file (the "fail-safe file copy" option). If copying the 10M file fails, you will at least still have the old 8M file. However, this means that you must have at least 10M free space, not just 2M.