Transfers over FTP (vsFTPd) cause frequent 426 and 150 errors

Get help for specific problems

RCRalph

Greetings,

I'm using FreeFileSync to create a backup of my data on my own FTP server (hosted using vsFTPd on Ubuntu 20.04). While transferring data, sometimes this error is thrown:
CURLE_PARTIAL_FILE: server did not report OK, got 426
426 Failure reading network stream. [curl_easy_perform]
This error stops the synchronization. It can be usually fixed by just pressing the Retry button. Sometimes though the issue persists, and you have to click this button like 5 or more times to get it working on just one file, no matter the size. My files are mostly less than 10 MB.

The other error that is showing up is:
CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: FTP response timeout
150 Ok to send data. [curl_easy_perform]
This is proceeded by a loss of transfer. Pretty much always fixable with pressing the Retry button.

Accessing the server via FileZilla doesn't throw any of these errors, so I suspect it's the software's issue. My internet connection is also fine, the file compare feature doesn't have such problems.

It's worth noting, that the transfer of the files keeps going after the error is thrown, that means the file is partially transferred and isn't removed every time an issue is raised.

Yes, I've seen this post: viewtopic.php?t=7405 and it didn't help me at all

RCRalph

OK I found the solution to my problem. It's migrating to SFTP.
Doing it is very easy, much easier than setting up vsFTPd all together.
I followed this tutorial: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-set-up-an-sftp-server-on-linux/
Hope this helps anyone!