Are multiple jobs done in order?

Discuss new features and functions

Louiscar

As per the title,
I am not sure when having jobs that have multiple entries if these are actually done in the order they are listed or are they done asynchronous?

The reason I ask this is that some backups need to have a separate job that updates some part of it. This would need to be done before the final backup is executed.

If done in order I can do this all in one job otherwise I have to created separate jobs to be run in sequence manually.

xCSxXenon

No, they don't necessarily go in order. Safest bet is to do separate jobs and run them in sequence

Louiscar

Many thanks, I thought this was the case but the doubt I had was due to the fact that you can actually changed the order of the jobs in the list.

Maybe I'll turn it into a feature request at some point.

It would be good to simply have a toggle to force ordered execution or a flag which says "make sure this is done before moving on" so essentially anything else can be executed normally once the ordered jobs were completed.

xCSxXenon

I think it would be nice to know for sure.
Also, you can call the second job by running a 'completion' command in the settings of the first job

Louiscar

That has potential, I never noticed the "on completion" - I'll have to look at how to use the command line I guess. I haven't had time to go into the more advanced options / methods.

xCSxXenon

It's pretty easy, the first part will be the path to FFS "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" and the second half is the path to your .ffs_batch file

Louiscar

Thanks, you are right :) - that seems the perfect solution frankly.
I was going to look into a batch file (dos type) solution running each job that way but when I think of this, the first file simply runs the next one. For those that may run this (that isn't me of course) I can simply use the naming of the jobs to guide them to what to run and what not to run.

I'm assuming there is a "silent run" switch which will stop the prompts so the job will just go ahead.
Thanks for pointing me to this :)

xCSxXenon

Yes, when you save the batch files/config, there is a checkbox to run minimized and one for ignoring errors