custom home folder in Linux

Get help for specific problems

moo.marc

Hi,

Both the installation and running FFS runs into many issues because my home folder is NOT /home/<user> on my system. Is there a way for me to fix this during or after installation?

Edit: to clarify, FFS often gives errors because it cannot create the folder "/home/<user>". Indeed I don't have write permission in /home. But it should instead be using the linux shortcut ~ which in my environment corresponds to "/home/<group>/<user>". Is it possible to fix this?

Thanks!

bgstack15

Technically the tilde ~ character is expanded by the shell (that is, /bin/sh or /bin/bash or similar) and not an official, reusable way to access your home directory. What would be better is to use environment variable $HOME (which is what the shell expands ~ to), and if that is unset, to determine the current user's home directory with getent (sorry; I don't know the C or C++ lib that that would use) and substitute that.

moo.marc

Or just have the "default home" be an install parameter, and ideally editable in the program settings.

moo.marc

I take it there is no solution? Sadly this means I can't recommend using FFS in my work group and I need to find an alternative.
Site Admin

Zenju

I believe this should be fixed in the latest version. FreeFileSync should behave correctly with home directory formats other than /home/<username>. Can you confirm this?

mlesin

I can't install it on linux, while I have my home folder in format /home/<username>
It says
Sorry, user mike is not allowed to execute '/usr/bin/sh -c echo $HOME' as mike on l82
while
/usr/bin/sh -c "echo $HOME"
returns
/home/mike
Looks like quotes were forgotten?
Is there any command-line parameter to set installation directory manually exists?
I can't see there any help available with -h nor --help argument
Site Admin

Zenju

Fixed!
FreeFileSync 12.0
-----------------
Don't require sudo for non-root installation (Linux)