Unable to Stop "WD MyPassport2628"

Get help for specific problems

larrybradley

Daily, I sync two USB connected MyPassport drives (Ubuntu 21.04 OS). Let's call them A and B. After syncing (two-way) with FFS, I want to disconnect B, but not A. When I go to Files explorer on my Ubuntu Linux machine and select "Safely Remove Drive," I always get the following message:

Unable to Stop "WD MyPassport2628" Error opening /dev/sdd for fsync: Device or resource busy.

I have tried waiting several minutes to see if it was trying to finish some operation, but I always get this same error message. Only happens when I try to remove this drive after using FFS. So far, I have simply removed it without any problem, but that makes me really nervous. Thanks.

xCSxXenon

If it's any consolation, Windows has almost never successfully 'safely' ejected a drive for me, unless it's a flash drive, and it has nothing to do with FFS. I think it probably correlates with the OS detecting external drives as regular drives versus flash drives being classified as 'removable media', but it's speculation so far. It has yet to cause me any issues as long as I know when the storage device is done being used though

larrybradley

No, it's no consolation. And I don't think you can just make a blanket statement that it has "nothing to do with FFS." I have been using Ubuntu for ten years. I have been connecting and removing external storage devices for years. I have transferred files back and forth between two external devices without any issues. I never received the error message reported above until I installed FFS. I uninstalled FFS and the problem went away. I reinstalled FFS and the problem returned. Is that absolute proof that FFS is at least a part of the problem? Maybe not, but it certainly seems more than coincidental. As to your last statement, prior to installing FFS I had a very good idea of when my storage device was being used. Prior to FFS my pc always told me what was keeping my device busy (libreoffice, okular, etc.). Now, after an FFS session (and only after an FFS session) I just get the reported error message which tells me my external drives are busy, not what is keeping them busy. Again, I never got this message prior to FFS; it went away when I uninstalled FFS; and it returned when I reinstalled FFS. Still, I don't really want to blame FFS, just thought someone might have a real clue about what actually is going on, not just conjecture.

therube

I uninstalled FFS and the problem went away.
You actually need to uninstall?
Simply closing FFS is not sufficient?

Maybe fuser can provide some insight, confirmation?

xCSxXenon

Ok, good luck then.

RPL

Daily, I sync two USB connected MyPassport drives (Ubuntu 21.04 OS). Let's call them A and B. After syncing (two-way) with FFS, I want to disconnect B, but not A. When I go to Files explorer on my Ubuntu Linux machine and select "Safely Remove Drive," I always get the following message:

Unable to Stop "WD MyPassport2628" Error opening /dev/sdd for fsync: Device or resource busy.

I have tried waiting several minutes to see if it was trying to finish some operation, but I always get this same error message. Only happens when I try to remove this drive after using FFS. So far, I have simply removed it without any problem, but that makes me really nervous. Thanks. larrybradley, 11 Jul 2021, 21:38
I had the same problem.
I believe the problem is in the trash.

In my case I did the following:
1) At the root of the destination HD, delete the directory ".Trash.........".
2) In the FFS "Filter Settings", in the section "Exclude", delete everything and replace with:
.Trash*
.*
*/.*
Maybe only the first line is needed.
3) In the FFS "Syncronization Settings", in the section "Delete files", check the option "Permanent".

After that I managed to eject the HD without any problems.

Plerry

Using FFS's Versioning is a much better and more flexible way of being able to recover deleted or overwritten files than using Trash or Recycle Bin.

Regarding your Exclude Filter rules:
> .Trash*
> .*
> */.*
The third line excludes all files and folders anywhere in your left and right base directories or in any of their subdirectories which names start with a dot .
The second line excludes all files and folders in the root of your left and right base directories which names start with a dot . This is double, as such files and folders will (also) be excluded via the third line.
The first line excludes all files and folders in the root of your left and right base directories which names start with .Trash. This is triple, as such files and folders will (also) be excluded via your second and via your third line.

RPL

Using FFS's Versioning is a much better and more flexible way of being able to recover deleted or overwritten files than using Trash or Recycle Bin.

Regarding your Exclude Filter rules:
> .Trash*
> .*
> */.*
The third line excludes all files and folders anywhere in your left and right base directories or in any of their subdirectories which names start with a dot .
The second line excludes all files and folders in the root of your left and right base directories which names start with a dot . This is double, as such files and folders will (also) be excluded via the third line.
The first line excludes all files and folders in the root of your left and right base directories which names start with .Trash. This is triple, as such files and folders will (also) be excluded via your second and via your third line. Plerry, 20 Sep 2021, 15:26
In my case I just need to copy the files created by me and which are in the /home directory (I use Linux).
I don't need a copy of the hidden files, so I excluded the files with names starting with a dot.
My rules were really redundant. Only the third line is required for my use.
The main problem is that I wasn't able to safely eject the external hard drive. I only managed to do this after deleting the .Trash directory that was in the root directory of the external HD.
Thanks for the note about redundancies.