New features: Limit bandwidth and activate volume shadow copy always

Discuss new features and functions

Info10h

Hello,

I have been testing for some time to make copies of the computers to a NAS and the two main problems that I have encountered are, if the client has many files, the computer is very slow while it is making the copy, because it is consuming the entire width of band of the network and in addition, the hard disk is working intensely so that the user can hardly work while the copy lasts. I am solving it with the application "Tmeter", but I think it would be very useful if you could mark a bandwidth limit to the synchronization and not depend on third-party applications.

The other problem is that FreeFileSync activates the Volume Shadow Copy if the file is open, but if it is not, it does not activate. It has happened to me that the client has tried to open the file and it tells him that it is in use and he cannot open it. This would be solved if the Volume Shadow Copy could always be activated.

Thanks

Plerry

1st problem:
Did you try running FFS with the RunWithBackgroundPriority flag set to True?

2nd problem:
This has been reported before.
Presently FFS only seems to apply Volume Shadow Copy (VSC) on files that are already locked or shared.
Applying VSC on all files would be huge overkill.
Regarding only applying VSC to files that may become locked: how is FFS to know which initially not locked or shared files may become locked or shared while running the sync?

Info10h

Hello, thanks for answering!

1) I am going to test it, thank you very much for the help

2) I don't think applying VSC to all files is an exaggeration. Before FFS I used Cobian Backup and it does activate VSC before making the copy and the only thing is the time it took to make said copy before starting to copy. In any case, it could be an option that we could choose in the menu, that is, apart from activating or not the option to "copy locked files" that is already there, it would be to add another option to always activate VSC and that each one chooses the best option for use.

On the other hand, I don't understand the end of your answer:
"Regarding only applying VSC to files that may become locked: how is FFS to know which initially not locked or shared files may become locked or shared while running the sync?"

For this reason, as FFS cannot know which files the user is going to try to open while making the copy, the logical thing is that there would be an option so that it is always activated. I don't know, it seems completely logical and normal to me, which I already said, other backup programs already use. It is not such a weird thing.

Thrakorzog

Does the "Background Priority" setting slow down transfers based on disk queue lengths?
I am wanting to copy between two internal hard drives, but one of the drives is used for file sharing and has a very active SQL database.
Without any changes my disk queue length goes through the roof... my processor, and all other resources are under utilized, so I am not sure if there is any help to be had in that setting.

xCSxXenon

Get moved to an SSD, for sure, also