Donation Edition: FreeFileSync is currently installed on 4 devices

Get help for specific problems

cookie170

Hi,

FreeFileSync keeps adding the same computer again and again to the list of devices and refuses to start because the maximum number of devices is 3.

Please help.

xCSxXenon

Is it only one computer in reality? Windows? Linux?

cookie170

I switched to a new notebook recently, Linux. It has been added four times to the list of devices. The old notebook no longer is listed.

xCSxXenon

This has been a problem with Linux before, something about it randomizing its hardware ID.
viewtopic.php?t=8425

JanW

I have the same issue. I have FFS installed on two desktop computers and one laptop. I recently got a new USB-C to RJ45 network adapter at work, and since then, when I move the laptop from my adapter at work to my docking station at home, the IP address changes, and maybe even the MAC address of the wired network. So my laptop gets recognized as a new computer, and each time I go from home to work and use FFS I get a warning that FreeFileSync was setup to be used on three computers but is used on four. I can delete the instance that is not currently in use on the website, but since I move frequently between home office and work office, this happens several times a week (sometimes even twice a day). Using the MAC address of the wireless network won't work either, because I have wireless turned off a lot of the time.

Any ideas how to handle this?

xCSxXenon

Sounds like FFS uses MAC addresses for activations. Does the ethernet adapter or dock offer MAC address spoofing?

JanW

I think the dock I use at home gets the MAC address from the machine (it's a Dell dock with a Dell laptop, never had this problem before when using different Dell USB-C to RJ45 adapters, and I vaguely remember seeing an option in the BIOS regarding MAC address handling with the dock). The adapter I started using at work recently is a generic adapter and probably uses its own MAC address. Trouble is, this adapter is provided by our network admin staff, and it is registered on the network. If I manage to spoof the MAC address, my laptop may not be recognized on the network anymore. I'll try.