Irritating Audio Alert occurs every minute. Is it FFS?

Get help for specific problems

Bordonbert

(Reposted from General Discussion as some fool chose the wrong forum!)

Hi.

I have a batch file set with a Windows Scheduled Task to backup my PC to a remote mapped drive on a NAS. This has worked without any problems for a good while now. Occasionally, through router DHCP action perhaps, the mapped drive vanishes from Explorer. I assume when this happens FFS cannot see the destination location and can't complete the task triggering the alert.

I currently have that irritating audio alert triggering every minute. It is exactly the same sound as FFS's "Alert Pending" sound. I have remapped the destination drive and successfully completed a backup now but this warning is still sounding every minute. It triggers an entry into "Event Viewer (Local)/Applications & Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Audio/Glitch Detection" as:

Source: Audio, Event ID: 33, with the following info:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Audio/GlitchDetection
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Audio
Date: 01/01/2022 19:39:23
Event ID: 33
Task Category: (123)
Level: Verbose
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: HomeMain
Description:
Engine Glitch: CP Server Input Endpoint - Starvation: pCCrossProcessServerInputEndpoint=[0x1f9e9de01b0] WriteOffset=[4096] ReadOffset=[4096] BufferSize=[8448] BytesAvail=[3840]
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Audio" Guid="{ae4bd3be-f36f-45b6-8d21-bdd6fb832853}" />
<EventID>33</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>5</Level>
<Task>123</Task>
<Opcode>22</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x400000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-01-01T19:39:23.0471867Z" />
<EventRecordID>1198</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{cba4dc71-fb17-4c94-9dc5-b1bef9a232d1}" />
<Execution ProcessID="4072" ThreadID="10140" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Audio/GlitchDetection</Channel>
<Computer>HomeMain</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="pCCrossProcessServerInputEndpoint">0x1f9e9de01b0</Data>
<Data Name="WriteOffset">4096</Data>
<Data Name="ReadOffset">4096</Data>
<Data Name="BufferSize">8448</Data>
<Data Name="BytesAvailable">3840</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Please can anyone advise if this is a FFS issue and, if it is, how can I stop it? It's driving me nuts!!!
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS is playing the "Alert pending" sound every minute while it is blocked by a warning or error message that isn't addressed by the user.

I'm surprised if you're hearing this sound while not at the same time seeing the popup dialog. In any case, this seems to be a configuration error, because error handling should not be set to "Show error message" for an unattended run.

Bordonbert

Hi Zenju, thanks for replying. I'm certainly not seeing any popup dialogues. The sound simply pings away every minute, and it is exactly every minute. One thing I have found is that if I complete a manual backup from the batch file, listen for the alarm to check it is still active then restart the PC, it does not sound. I have then also found that it restarts a while later. That is not only after the scheduled task runs the backup in the early hours of the morning, it can be after just an hour or so.

I have taken a careful look at the Windows services and background tasks running and stopped. In all honesty, too many of them are not clear to me as a simple Windows user (albeit with a good technical background). I do like to run with as few background services as possible as I have no real special requirements for stuff like that and functions such as the likes of Edge services and Cloud services are a waste of time for me. But I wouldn't know which of those could be the problem to either enable or disable and getting that wrong can cause you all sorts of aggravation.

I can't find anywhere in FFS that it currently tells me of an uncompleted task. Likewise I can't find where it would have the option to prevent popups. My Windows 10 system settings are currently allowing all popups from apps while Chrome settings prevent them for browsing. In the Windows settings "Get Notifications From These Apps" section FFS is not specifically listed. "Backup Settings" is currently set to on for notifications and sounds.

In the FFS html logfiles, each of the backup tasks attempted completes successfully whether there is anything to backup or not, and ends with "Executing command: Exit [Exit code 0]". That suggested to me that there is nothing incomplete which FFS could be trying to tell me about.

I can't find any reference to your "Show error message" in FFS. I can find the "Ignore Errors" and "Automatic Retry" selections in the "Synchronisation Settings/Comparison" dialogue, is that what you mean? I have them both unticked at the moment.
Site Admin

Zenju

If you hear the sound, then a FFS process must be running. I'd suggest to check the list of all active processes via Process Explorer started with admin rights: go to menu-> File -> Show details for all processes:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Then continue investigation considering the new information.

abitkt7a

Good afternoon,

I have the same issue with FreeFileSync. Exact every 60 sec a notification sound from FFS plays. But no popup, nothing in Windows "Ereignisanzeige".

I created a report with "process Monitor" from Sysinternals. It shows as Process FreeFileSync_x64.exe exact every 60 sec simultan when sound ring. A lot of entries appears:

Nome not found, Buffer to small, Buffer Overflow

A hardcopy of the log. I can sent the original lot from sysinternal if needed.

I have running RealTimeSync as a Windows service. It looks like that all is working fine. The manual sync of FreeFileSync, too. But I did not can stop the ... alert sound from FFS. I disable all Windows sounds, but its a indepent sound schema from FFS and cannot stopped.

Did anybody can help me to upload the log here and to find out what wrong on my machine, please?
Site Admin

Zenju

Your error handling apparently isn't set correctly:
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=schedule-batch-jobs

Ideally, FFS should detect this issue. TODO

abitkt7a

Hi Zenju,
sorry, you are right. I did not read the FAQ completly and did not set "ignore error". I set up this flag now. Hope beeping will did not appear again :-)

Thank you for your prompt and friendly help. Although all this was write down in you FAQ.
Great Service.
Thank you and stay healthy.
Site Admin

Zenju

Fixed in the next version: viewtopic.php?t=8535#p39347

Bordonbert

Haha! Good news to hear this has been addressed and a fix is in place. You are talking about it being fixed in v12.4 and onward I assume Zenju?

xCSxXenon

Haha! Good news to hear this has been addressed and a fix is in place. You are talking about it being fixed in v12.4 and onward I assume Zenju? Bordonbert, 24 Jun 2023, 14:55