I do not understand "versioning"

Get help for specific problems

Tio

So I have selected Versioning and Time Stamp (folder) + marked last X days as "10". Shouldn't this keep the latest 10 versions of files/folders and delete anything from the file versioning folder that's older than that? I just want to keep the latest 10 versions/deletions for every file/folder. Now it is creating infinite backup/versioning folders.

I have read the documentation but still cannot figure it out.

If anyone can help would be appreciated.

xCSxXenon

You set it to keep 10 days, not 10 versions. FFS will delete versions older than 10 days. Remove the 10 days option and switch it to 10 maximum.

Tio

I see. So does it mean in my case that it will only keep 10 folders? Or it will create new folders with the files that are not yet 10 days old? I am trying to understand how this works. Thanks!

xCSxXenon

It will keep the previous 10 days of deletions/overwrites in their respectively dated folder. If you had a folder that contained a text file that was deleted on January 30th, it would now be deleted since that was over 10 days ago. There will be 10 folders, one for each of the previous 10 days.

Tio

Thx.

Ok so with my setup I should expect to only see 10 folders, correct? But I do not. I see more than that...FFS doesn't seem to delete any.

xCSxXenon

Screenshot of your settings and the folders?

Tio

Sorry for the late reply. I have since gave up FFS for this reason. But I may follow if I'll try to use it again. Thank you for your help.

dennisb

I have experienced the same and believe I have an answer. In my case, I specify max of 7 days but deleted files actually stay much longer. They stay until something new is added to the versioning folder.

It seems that old versions are deleted only after something is added to the versioning folder. I propose a change so that purging of old versions happens whenever a sync job is run rather than when something is added to the versioning folder.

Plerry

It's been a while, but ...
I believe FFS will always retain the last previous version of a file in its versioning location, and (given your settings) will only delete any earlier previous versions older than 7 days.