Auto-update in portable version

Discuss new features and functions

ZleekWolf

Long story short, it would be amazing if the auto-updater would also work "correctly" in the portable version, since as of now, it unfortunately just downloads the normal installer executable. In my office, I'm not able to install the software, so I *have* to use the portable version, and a working auto-update therefore would be amazing!
Site Admin

Zenju

Auto-update should work correctly even for the portable version. How do you reproduce a problem in this regard? Is it the requirement for admin rights?

ZleekWolf

Yeah, it is downloading the installer, which requires admin rights, and it doesn't run without. Like some installers prompt UAC for rights, and if you cancel the prompt, you can continue the setup (as long as you're not trying to install into some restricted location ofc). With the FFS update installer, it just won't do anything without admin rights :/

therube

it is downloading the installer, which requires admin rights, and it doesn't run without. ... With the FFS update installer, it just won't do anything without admin rights
Confirmed.

David.P

I'd also confirm this. In my portable donation version, when the notification about an update appears and I press "Auto-Update", the setup.exe installer is downloaded, which requires administrative rights that I don't have on my work PC.

An additional problem just occurred: I then downloaded the new portable *.zip version, deleted everything in the folder of the previous portable installation except GlobalSettings.xml, LastRun.ffs_gui and the "Logs" folder, and then moved the new portable version into that folder.

However, it appears that the settings now are lost. Although the previously used synchronization paths are still visible, the detailed settings that I used no longer seem to be there. In which file of the portable version would these have been saved?

fred_be

+1 for the question

I am also interested how the portable version updates, esp on a computer where user has no admin rights.

David (post above), when you mention a portable .zip file, is that a download from the site, or a zip file you prepare on another computer (with admin rights) by running the (donation) update Installer?

Context:
I'm looking to try the latest FFS via a portable version. I dont want to immediately erase my very old installed version (7.x) that I stuck with for years.

Is there a portable version for that side by side experiment in the free version? Or in the donation version only?

Plerry

Normally one installs the portable version on a USB-stick or -drive
(hence the name "portable" ...)
So, installing the portable version on a computer on which a previous (non-portable) version is installed, is normally not at stake, and defies the purpose of "portable".

David.P

Nope. I have been installing hundreds of portable programs on a second internal hard drive for decades, and this has survived many generations of Windows OSes, not to mention uncountable OS reinstalls.

This hard drive has been migrated to MS OneDrive in the meantime and has made all those hundreds of programs available on every Computer I lay my hands on.

There is absolutely no difference to a USB install that I suppose only a minority of people is doing anymore these days.

And it's also no problem to install multiple versions of a portable program side by side. Just use different folder names for each version. I'm doing this all the time.

@Fred, I believe that the portable FFS Version is only available after donating.

therube

Is there a portable version for that side by side experiment in the free version?
No.
Or in the donation version only?
Yes.
it appears that the settings now are lost
Might you have used command-line (or desktop shortcut) switches to point to a particular GlobalSettings.xml?
the detailed settings that I used no longer seem to be there
Explain "detailed settings".
Perhaps there were config changes between what you were running at the time, & then what you updated to (with the Donation version) that caused that?

As far as "updating", I (manually) download the ZIP, unpack it, & replace the unpacked files over the existing.

With that, GlobalSettings.xml & /Logs/ should be left unchanged (as they would not typically be included in the ZIP - & aside from changes that could possibly be made due to changes in a particular version [in which case, something like GlobalSettings.xml could potentially be changed, between versions].)

(And of course, back up existing, first.)