Is there a checkbox for Automatic Updates?

Discuss new features and functions

drpeppercan

I just got the newest Donation Edition for Windows. I thought I'd see a setting that would allow for Automatic Updates, but I don't see it.

Thanks in advance

xCSxXenon

Help -> Check automatically once a week.
You have to install the donation edition, even if you already had the free edition. It is not an upgrade, it is a "new" program.

drpeppercan

Thank you for the feedback xCSxXenon.
So if it is not an upgrade, does this mean that if I want to continue using a "Donation Edition" I cannot move forward to use the new version when it comes out? - Unless I pay another donation?

Thanks in advance

xCSxXenon

No, what I mean is using the donation editions requires uninstalling the existing FFS and installing the donation edition you download from your unique donation page.

drpeppercan

Thank you for clarifying xCSxXenon.
However going back to my original question, I was asking because I had a Donation Edition before a while back, and I recall that if I were to update it then I would no longer be using a Donation Edition anymore. Now I read some where about these new "automatic updates feature" and of course I thought "Oh great, finally I'll be able to update my Donation Edition and not lose it!". But I am not too sure this is the case.
Site Admin

Zenju

No, what I mean is using the donation editions requires uninstalling the existing FFS and installing the donation edition you download from your unique donation page. xCSxXenon, 26 Jun 2022, 17:53
Uninstalling is not required, and even a bad idea because it will also remove the global config files.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thank you for clarifying xCSxXenon.
However going back to my original question, I was asking because I had a Donation Edition before a while back, and I recall that if I were to update it then I would no longer be using a Donation Edition anymore. Now I read some where about these new "automatic updates feature" and of course I thought "Oh great, finally I'll be able to update my Donation Edition and not lose it!". But I am not too sure this is the case. drpeppercan, 27 Jun 2022, 02:04
Auto-update is only available in the Donation Edition. So by definition, if you *can* auto-update it will always install the Donation Edition. If you manually install the regular version over the Donation Edition, you'll obviously not have the Donation Edition anymore.

drpeppercan

Thank you Zenju.
Since I have not seen or being told about a manual setting to turn on/off the automatic updating, I like to think that this is done automatically by the Donation Edition the moment it identifies that there is a new version, is this right?

xCSxXenon

No, what I mean is using the donation editions requires uninstalling the existing FFS and installing the donation edition you download from your unique donation page. xCSxXenon, 26 Jun 2022, 17:53
Uninstalling is not required, and even a bad idea because it will also remove the global config files. Zenju, 27 Jun 2022, 09:07
Yeah, I was trying to make it as simple as possible, and assuming no changes were made to the config files. Although, if those are stored in AppData, why not just leave them there or give an option to save/remove them like other uninstallers?

If your donation period is not expired, and you are running the donation edition, it will auto update to the latest donation edition. As Zenju stated, if you manually updated FFS using a non-donation installer, you are no longer using the donation edition and auto-updating won't even be an option until you install your donation edition overtop the current, non-donation, installation. The only way to "lose" it, as you said, is to manually install the regular version, as Zenju said.

Under help, there is the option for automatic updates.
2022-06-27 10_13_58-.jpg
2022-06-27 10_13_58-.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 2065 times