Batch job not running as scheduled task

Discuss new features and functions

dkaplowitz

Hi - I've got 2 batch jobs running as scheduled tasks - one has worked perfectly for years and the other has stopped working and I can't figure out why- they seem to be set up identically. Attached files - Main-Secondary is the one that's working properly. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
David
Attachments
Main-Secondary-Batch.ffs_batch
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
DecayBackup2.ffs_batch
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Decay2.xml
(3.46 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
main-secondary-backup.xml
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

Plerry

> they seem to be set up identically

Looking at the *.ffs_batch files:
There are at least differences between the two left-right folder pairs.
The Main version uses as the left base location F:\,
whereas the Decay version uses E:\
Perhaps E:\ does not exist anymore or is not connected.

But perhaps more importantly, looking at the *.xml files:
Look at your <Arguments> tags.
The main version invokes FreeFileSync with an argument starting with C:\User\david ...
the Decay version has an argument starting with C://User/david ...
Obviously, the argument of the Decay version is incorrect and should use single back-slashes instead of double or single forward-slashes.

dkaplowitz

DOH. Thanks so much for taking a look at that and pointing out what should have been obvious to me! they are backing up from different drives so E:\ and F:\ are correct but your other find was obviously key. THANK YOU

dkaplowitz

Hi - so this still hasn't worked! last automatic sync was a day ago on the offending batch job where the other one ran this morning while the computer was idle. I can't see any other differences in the task schedule xml files except author which I can't imagine would affect anything?! Any other ideas appreciated!

Plerry

You can start by checking if the Decay sync configuration works as expected by opening it in the FFS GUI, and running it from there. If that works OK, you know it is the scheduled task that is the problem and not the FFS sync configuration.

> I can't see any other differences in the task schedule xml files
> except author which I can't imagine would affect anything?!
I am not very familiar with task scheduler xml-files, but perhaps the Author is linked to the Windows user-account under which the task is run. The Author field also seems to refer to the user david on different machines (seemingly not to a domain-user).
Assuming you run both scheduled tasks on DESKTOP-ISV3AMO, try changing the Author-field of the Decay task
from WINDOWS-BEAST\david
into DESKTOP-ISV3AMO\david,
save and import the xml again.
Or remove the machine related part in the Author-field, so just "david", which should default to the user david on the machine running the task or to the domain.

Alternatively, you can open the Task Scheduler on the machine you want to run the tasks. Then Right-click the name of the scheduled task you want to "modify", select Properties, and select the Task tab. In the "Run as" box, type the account name to use if that would be incorrect.

dkaplowitz

Ok I've done that - will see if the scheduled task runs now - thanks

therube

C://User/david ... Obviously, the argument of the Decay version is incorrect
Actually FFS is bilingual ;-).

So things like:
//nas/OFFICE/BACK_up_BASIS/BASIS/DATA/testing$
(forward slashes to a UNC nas)
C://WLIB\LeechFTP/LeechTMP\xfeRRRRRR
(doubled, & mixed forward & backward slashes)
do work.

So even some "wrong" things will still fly.
(Now if there are gotcha's or places they might not work, not sure, but...)

dkaplowitz

ok thanks for that info @therube

still not running. it will run fine manually but not as a scheduled task. can't see what's going on - v frustrating! I've deleted and re-made the task, still doesn't want to run!