Manual compilation from source

Get help for specific problems

reckor

Hello Zenju,

Thanks for developing such an interesting sync program. I would love to test it, but I'm on Gentoo and there is not official ebuild (the one I found is not working and dated).

As I couldn't find the instructions, could you please advise how to compile it from source?

Thank you

bgstack15

There are various folks who compile this on Ubuntu, (formerly) Fedora and even CentOS 7, and Devuan, and now even a guy trying to get it into Debian. Oh, and some ROSA Linux I'm not very familiar with. And OpenSuSE. The AUR for Arch Linux is a little out of date but it used to be a go-to place for checking for patches.

Between all these options, everybody has different patches such as to make it work with gcc-$VERSION or (formerly) gtk2, and so on. Hopefully you can adapt what you need to get an ebuild going.

edit: Duh, I should have added this: https://repology.org/project/freefilesync/versions

reckor

Thank you, appreciated. As every package manager works in a different way I was wondering if there would be any specific how-to for manual compilation from scratch.

bgstack15

That always depends on your library versions. Perhaps Arch Linux would always have the latest versions of the dependencies that Zenju uses, but most distros lag behind bleeding edge version updates for things like wxWidgets and openssl. Pretty much every user in a GNU/Linux environment has to patch things so the application compiles at all. A "make" usually doesn't cut it. And a while ago, the install target in the Makefile was removed which made me sad.

reckor

Thank you again, understood! I will check what to do next. Cheers