RealTimeSync not starting

Get help for specific problems

cabroso

Hi,
I've set up FFS to do what I want, and am trying to get RealTimeSync to run unattended, so I've created a task using Windows Task Scheduler, but it won't start. I've tried setting it to run the task on pc startup, or user login, and also set it to use the system account, but no joy. It works fine if I start it manually. Wondering if anyone can suggest anything?
Thanks

xCSxXenon

You have to save the RTS setup as a .ffs_real file. Then, put that .ffs_real file in a startup location:

"%homepath%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
for when you log in or
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
for when anyone logs in

Using Task scheduler is more difficult for no real benefit, but you can do that if desired. If the options I provided don't work, your RTS setup is messed up

cabroso

Thanks, yes it's working with the .ffs_real in the startup folder.

acg

great solution

Plerry

Using Task scheduler is more difficult for no real benefit, but you can do that if desired. xCSxXenon, 24 Oct 2022, 17:31
The prime benefit of using the Task Scheduler over the Autostart folder, is that it allows you to run tasks under different, specified user credentials.
This is almost a must if you really care about safety. It allows you use a backup location that only provides readwrite-access to the user under which user credentials the backup task is run (and only that user).
As long as you use Versioning and your regular user credentials do at least not provide write-access to your backup location and Versioning location, you are pretty well protected against encryption by ransomware.
That is for me the prime reason to always use different user credentials for backup tasks.
And the Autostart folder approach does not provide a solution to that.

xCSxXenon

Using Task scheduler is more difficult for no real benefit, but you can do that if desired. xCSxXenon, 24 Oct 2022, 17:31
The prime benefit of using the Task Scheduler over the Autostart folder, is that it allows you to run tasks under different, specified user credentials.
This is almost a must if you really care about safety. It allows you use a backup location that only provides readwrite-access to the user under which user credentials the backup task is run (and only that user).
As long as you use Versioning and your regular user credentials do at least not provide write-access to your backup location and Versioning location, you are pretty well protected against encryption by ransomware.
That is for me the prime reason to always use different user credentials for backup tasks.
And the Autostart folder approach does not provide a solution to that. Plerry, 01 Nov 2022, 18:28
Security and convenience are an everlasting battle