Feature request : Sync large files

Discuss new features and functions

David Morrow

I'm not sure that this is even a feature that FFS would even want to attempt but I'll throw it out there anyway. And, sorry if I'm not using all of the correct technical terms...

Too keep it simple, I have two computers - one local and another one remote. I have a lot of the usual Excel, PDF, Word, etc files that I need to keep on both. And, I'm trying to avoid using a VPN or opening ports on either computer.

Currently, I sync the local computer to Onedrive as a two-way sync. And then on the remote computer, I also sync that to the same Onedrive account, also two-way sync. This is very effective for my needs and there is no problem with space on Onedrive.

So, the request comes now that I want to sync large media files with the largest being movie MP4's. To do my initial sync, I can get both the local and the remote machines in the same room and sync them through a NAS. But, when they are separated by hundreds of miles it's not quite so easy as I soon run out of space on Onedrive with hundreds of MP4 files.

It would be nice if Onedrive held just a list of the files held by both the local and remote computers, presumably along with the dates, size, etc needed to determine the newest version. And then, when syncing, if just the new or newer file versions could be copied from the source computer to Onedrive and then moved to the target drive by that target computer.

This probably sounds a bit convoluted but of course it makes perfect sense in my head.

xCSxXenon

So you are wanting it to upload to OneDrive from the source, then move it from OneDrive to the second computer and delete from OneDrive to free up space? I'm sure it's possible with a slew of confusing settings and post-sync commands, but it super convoluted versus setting up a NAS/Plex with the proper port forwarding and such.