Error Disk Full

Get help for specific problems

Sailsman

When the free space on my SSD is less than the size of the files being backed up I will always get the error message "ERROR_DISK_FULL; There is not enough space on the disk. (CopyFileEX)"
I'm backing up approx 20 - 24Gb on to a 2TB Transcend portable HDD that has 400Gb free space available.
Does FFS require the same or more space than what is being copied to temporarily store the data during the backup? Or is there a setting that needs changing somewhere?

therube

OK, but he's got 400 GB free (which is 1/5 of his 2 TB drive), so should he still be getting that message?
(The other thread, he only had KB free.)

xCSxXenon

The first sentence also says that the free space is less than the size being backed up... OP needs to clarify.

Chances are there isn't enough space and they need to upgrade the drive size or delete data.
Or they have an XXGB file that is already on the destination, the destination has <XXGB free, and there is a newer version of the file in the source. In that case, still yes the destination needs at least that XXGB free because it does not delete before updating. Not without some tweaking that is.

viewtopic.php?t=8485
viewtopic.php?t=1711

Sailsman

From Plerrys topic it does look like FFS places a copy of files on the SSD as an assurance before it updates the destination file. As one of the files updated is the large 22Gb Outlook pst file it seems this is not always finding the space on the SSD during the update process and errors out.
Disabling the fail-safe file copy option does sound like an option but is it risky? Even if there is an external failure like Zenju says in topic 1711, could the original file be corrupted in any way?
Freeing up SSD space or reducing the Outlook file is also another option but either will take some time to sort out.
Thanks for all comments on this.

xCSxXenon

The source shouldn't have any considerable chance at corrupting by turning off the fail-safe. But it's a fail-safe for a reason: to prevent loss in cases of total failure

therube

I was never clear on these two?
When the free space on my SSD is less than the size of the files being backed up
I'm backing up approx 20 - 24Gb on to a 2TB Transcend portable HDD that has 400Gb free space
With 1, I would expect a warning of some sort.
But if the case is 2, then how is 20 GB > 400 GB ?