FreeFileSync not working on new install of KDE Neon Linux 22.04

Get help for specific problems

Heronheart

Hello. I had FreeFileSync working on my old install of KDE Neon Linux 20.04. I just upgraded my version to 22.04 by doing a fresh install but keeping my old home partition. After reinstalling FreeFileSync I tried to start FreeFileSync but all I got was the icon breifly appearing in my task bar and then disappearing. No sign of FreeFileSync appearing in the system monitor. I tried restarting my system but the symptoms remain the same.

bgstack15

Did you keep /opt around? That's where the official release of FreeFileSync installs itself to. If you no longer have the old /opt available, just install FreeFileSync fresh.

Heronheart

Yep. Did a fresh install of FreeFileSync and still no joy. The FreeFileSync icon flashes on the task bar and then nothing.

bgstack15

Would you please run FreeFileSync from the command line? The best thing to run would be the contents of the Exec= line of the FreeFileSync.desktop file which is probably ~/.local/share/applications/FreeFileSync.desktop or similar. And just in case it isn't clear, ~ tilde means $HOME or probably /home/Heronheart/.
If that Exec= line is pointing to the wrong thing (e.g., a missing executable file), then try running FreeFileSync directly, which iirc is /opt/FreeFileSync/FreeFileSync.

Heronheart

OK. I ran FreeFileSync from the command line and got a prompt to install GTK 2. I did that and FreeFileSync seems to be working now. Thanks for the help! Just as a thought, have you considered distributing FreeFileSync as a FlatPack to avoid these issues?