FFS Deleted "bootTel.dat" Files - Is This Okay?

Get help for specific problems

Radish

OS = Windows 10 Pro. 22H2 x64
FFS = version 10.24

Windows warned that I had some issues with one of my SSDs. It arranged things so that on a reboot it would repair the file system on the drive. This got done and thereafter Windows reported the drive as fine. When I looked, each of the partitions had a bootTel.dat file in the root directory of the partition. I didn't and don't know if these files had to be preserved or if they were safe to delete.

Enter FFS and doing some backups using 'Mirror' sync type. FFS deleted all the bootTel.dat files — boom! Gone! Is this okay? Does anyone know if these files should have been preserved?

xCSxXenon

https://superuser.com/questions/1341021/what-is-the-boottel-dat-file-in-windows

Seems to be related to the chkdsk you ran and is not necessary for normal use

Radish

Thanks for responding. I had already read the link you point to. However, it (and other sources I found) don't say if the bootTel.dat file has to be kept on the system. None of what I have read states if it is safe to delete those files. Should say the drive seems to be operating fine even with the files deleted but I'm wondering if anyone knows the definitive answer to my question — can't find the information anywhere.
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm always deleting all files in C:\, except for swapfile.sys, and pagefile.sys. Never had any issues. Also, regularly deleting the (mostly empty) temp folders created by Windows updates.

Radish

Okay Zenju I'll assume the files were okay to delete.

However, I won't go so far as to delete all files in C:\ except for swapfile.sys, and pagefile.sys. as I arrange things so that Windows is installed to a single partition — no Windows hidden partitions on my system (which is how I want it to be). This means I have a non-standard setup and some boot related files in C:\ that I suspect would be a disaster to delete.

Thanks for your response though — appreciated.