File compare using diff or Vimdiff

Discuss new features and functions

pnachtwey

Often time I get a bunch of files that have conflicts and I want to compare the files. I have the compare feature working well under windows but not my Mac Book Pro. My Mac Book Pro does not have a graphical compare program so I want to use diff or Vimdiff that come with the Mac Book Pro.
I uses
diff "%local_path%" "%local_path2%"
or
vimdiff "%local_path%" "%local_path2%"

Neither work but neither are graphical like "Compare It!" that I use on my Windoze computers
What am I doing wrong? Or can anybody suggest a good compare program for the Mac Book Pro
Site Admin

Zenju

opendiff can be used: https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=external-applications
vimdiff should work, too, but you probably first need to open the terminal in your command line, and pass "diff "%local_path%" "%local_path2%" somehow as a parameter for the terminal to execute.

therube

Vim installer creates a vimdiff.bat.

And with that:
start "C:\BIN\BIN2\vimdiff.bat" "%local_path%" "%local_path2%"
(Adjust that to your location of vimdiff.bat.)

-------

Hash two files.
start  xxhash.bat "%local_path%" "%local_path2%"
xxhash.bat:
@echo off
FcHash.exe %*
pause
Search filename in Everything Search.
C:\DEV\LOCATE\Everything.exe "%item_path%"

pnachtwey

@Zenju, I will try opendiff. I didn't know it was installed on my Mac Book Pro. I will write here how it turns out.
@therube, my Mac doesn't have a C:\ drive or run *.exe files. There are plenty of very good file comparison programs for Windoze like Compare It! or WinMerge.
Macs have a more limited choice and I wan't something that loaded quickly each time I wanted to compare files.

pnachtwey

I have implemented meld from meldmerge.org as my compare/merging tool on my Mac Book Pro.
It works well but I wish it loaded just a little faster.
I had to install HomeBrew to load Meld.
Overall, it is a success!

AZJIO

Add Meld as a comparison option, since this program is cross-platform and free. And if this program could also be added to compare synchronization directories, then even better.