RealTimeSync - Run As Service

Discuss new features and functions

muzicman82

Hi all,

I read over the manual page here to set up a service to run RealTimeSync prior to Windows login. However, is there a way I can do this so that when a user does login, they still get the system tray icon indicating that the process is running. Otherwise, the user has no idea that the process is working.

Also, it seems rather easy to accidentally close the process after a failure. Is there a process monitor that can re-launch the RTS file if it is closed? Likewise, I found it is possible to launch the RTS file twice and have two instances running in the background.

Plerry

1)
I don't know about the icon, but when using the Task Scheduler, when you define a Basic Task, you define the next and then click next, which brings you to the Trigger tab. There you can select when the task is to be run, e.g. "When I log on", instead of "When the computer starts".
2)
If you are afraid the RTS task may be accidentally killed, you can define a Create Task (not Create Basic Task), define the task to be run at some reasonable frequency (e.g. every hour), and then on the Settings tab under 'If the task is already running, then the following rule applies" select "Do not start a new instance".
3)
You can have as many instances of RTS running simultaneously as you like, provided there is no overlap between the directories (and their subdirectories) monitored via those different RTS instances.
If there is an overlap, there is no telling which of the RTS task command-lines is being executed.

Be aware that icons for running tasks are only shown for tasks launched under the user credentials of the presently logged-in user; tasks running under other user credentials are not shown (nor can those tasks be easily accidentally killed by the logged-in user).

muzicman82

Yeah, I followed the steps in the manual (#1 here) and used the same user as the one that would log in but I still don't get a RTS icon...

#2 sounds like it should work but I stopped with Tasks until I can get #1 to show the icon. I guess the two aren't mutually exclusive.