ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUIRED: Run with elevated privileges is required to perform the requested operation

Get help for specific problems

kRel

Hi . . .
Free File Sync v. 11.29 - 64 bit - 16/12/2022
Before upgrading to the donation version, I synced with no issues. Now - also for objects on the desktop - e.g. clipboard.txt I get the error:
ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUIRED: Run with elevated privileges is required to perform the requested operation [AdjustTokenPrivileges(SeSecurityPrivilege)]
even if in the indicated settings, the three permissions are enabled. Also I'm logged in as administrator:
Error-proof file copy
Copy locked files
Copy DACL, SACL, Owner, Group
However, "the following settings are used for all synchronization processes".

I don't know if this block was triggered by the version change, as well as launching Free File Sync as an administrator - is it possible to remove this block? If so how?

Cheers

xCSxXenon

Logging in as "administrator" is different than running as administrator. Good info on how Windows handles elevation here:
viewtopic.php?t=9865

I am guessing you have those options checked, requiring to run as administrator, but you aren't really running as admin when launching FFS

kRel

Hi and thanks @xCSxXenon

I have read the discussion you sent me to, but in this regard I would like to point out two simple things: (attention, it is not a controversy! it is only a desire to understand what has happened lately):

I don't know if the date of the occurrence of the problem coincides with the switch to the "donate" SBB version, but the suspicion is there :-)

1: until a couple of weeks ago I have NEVER had this kind of problem.
2: the problem occurs with a normal text file (eg note.txt) saved on the desktop, as I have done in the last ten years a million times.

The text file has no permissions or permissions or membership in special groups: right click > new > text file > open > write > "remember to sharpen the pencil..." > save.

When starting the synchronization the whole process has always been complete without problems of any kind.

Then something happened and now I get that message. Why do I receive it?

I know the solution: right click on the shortcut to FFS > run as administrator. Or I create a link to which I grant administrative rights.

Greetings and happy holidays :-)

therube

(Heh. I don't understand enough about this stuff, but...)

Go to a C:\> prompt
CD to your "desktop", so someplace like C:\Users\Krel\Desktop

Do a:
DIR /Q *.txt

That will give you a directory listing of your desktop text files - showing the Owner (/Q).

Do you see differences in ownership between a currently created text file & one that was created some time ago?
12/23/2022  11:10 AM               415 RUBEN\RUBEN7           xxx
12/23/2022  11:28 AM               120 RUBEN\RUBEN7    sync.ffs_db
12/23/2022  11:17 AM               415 BUILTIN\Administrators xxx
12/23/2022  11:11 AM               415 BUILTIN\Administrators xxxy

therube

clipboard.txt
Was the file, are the files you are running into issues with, open in some other application (at the same time as you were trying to sync - like maybe a clipboard manager)?

If so, what application(s)?

---
What is your setting for: Tools | Options -> Copy locked files ?
Oh, he did test that way, enabled (1st. post), & during that test he was "running as admin" (in order for having it enabled to actually have an effect).

kRel

Sorry if I answer only now!
Christmas engagements....

I gave the command as you suggested - the response was that all objects on the desktop belong to me

obviously the file/files that weren't copied weren't opened by other apps :-)

Gianni1962

For some unknown (at the moment) reasons, the two options that require elevation are checked:

[x] Copy locked files (requires administrator rights)
[x] Copy DACL, SACL, Owner, Group (requires administrator rights)

Uncheck them and try again.

kRel

For some unknown (at the moment) reasons, the two options that require elevation are checked:

[x] Copy locked files (requires administrator rights)
[x] Copy DACL, SACL, Owner, Group (requires administrator rights)

Uncheck them and try again. Gianni1962, 27 Dec 2022, 13:13
As you suggested I disabled the two options and the copy was successful without giving that warning.

Forgive me, but if I uncheck both options
[ x ] Copy locked files ( requires admin rights )
[ x ] Copy DACL, SACL, Owner, Group (requires admin rights)

I will not be able to copy the locked files, nor the attributes of the files.
Did I get it right ?

Gianni1962

If you need these two options, FFS must be run as administrator.

Maybe you had UAC disabled before while it is enabled now?

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) on Windows
Last edited by Gianni1962 on 29 Jan 2024, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

jschexna

I also after many years, I also have had to start running FFS as administrator.

eskimo68

Just my 2c. Upgraded the entire infra to Win11 (or in progress - read 72h NAS copying, twice).
1G network (old cables I know) and freefilesync is dead slow, so donated again just in case something has been fixed, sorry, improved. And installed the donated version.
First issue I run into is the above one :D .

Ricardo

I have this kind of issue which really makes FFS not so useful to me because I could use Xcopy with switches at a DOS command. I thought FFS is meant to make everything easier but there are no links to explain how to solve these problems.

Ricardo

Notice the link above 'How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) on Windows' is dead @gianni1962.

Gianni1962

They have changed the link, I have updated my post with the correct one.