Timeout error when connecting to NAS on LAN (Win 10)

Get help for specific problems

sugarhill

Hello,

I'm pretty consistently getting this error when running and auto/batch job from my Windows 10 machine using the "Donation" version:
• Timeout while searching for folder "\\BACKUP\bu-XXXXXX". [20 sec]

I'm pretty sure it's simply because it takes the Synology NAS forever to wake from sleep.

That said, the easiest solution would seem to be to just change the 20 second timeout to something longer. Is this possible? (I didn't see a directive in the global settings file).

Thanks in advance

Plerry

The "Ignore errors" and "Automatically retry" settings (as found in FFS GUI Comparison settings (F6) ) are sync-job specific, and stored in the sync-job's *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch file in an xml-tag called Errors, e.g. <Errors Ignore="false" Retry="0" Delay="5"/>, not in the GlobalSettings.xml file.

I can't tell if adjusting the Retry count and/or Delay will help solve your NAS issue.
But trying should be easy.

Fully unrelated to FFS, in the past I wrote a batch-script to perform drive-mappings to my NAS at computer startup, and that kept re-trying until the NAS had spinned-up and became reponsive.
You could try something similar.

sugarhill

Thanks for the suggestions - the retry/delay idea does make sense.

However, I only would want to retry on this one particular timeout error. I don't want it to retry every time it encounters missing files, etc. (I'm using FreeFileSync to do deep backups).

I am trying some things on the NAS OS itself, to see if that will solve the problem. If not, I will defininetly circle back to your suggestions.

In any case, it would be handy if that 20s timeout was a user-configurable option, no?