Wildcarded subfolder exclusion

Get help for specific problems

xrlance

In my environment (Unreal game dev) each project generates very large subfolders that recreate every compile so I don't want them in my FFS backup. All my projects are under a *\Unreal\ parent root so I need an exclude filter that ignores these special subfolders.
I have tried the exclude filter: *\Unreal\*\DerivedDataCache\* hoping it would exclude the contents of, for example:
c:\working\Unreal\clients\customerA\project1\DerivedDataCache
but it does not. What is the filter form to exclude files in any DerivedDataCache subfolder that exists under a specific parent folder?
Site Admin

Zenju

LGTM, the exclude filter should work.

Plerry

Simply run a Compare in the FFS GUI.
Select and then right-click the folder or file you want to exclude, and add the file to the Exclude Filter via the context menu.
Then you are sure to use the correct filter definition.

xrlance

@Plerry, if the filesystem were static this would work but the contents of the folders changes often. In my case 'customerA' becomes 'customerB' often, so manually finding these paths is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Plerry

OK. But at least, then you can make your manual changes to Exclude Filter definition from a correctly working starting point, and generalize from there.

xrlance

Finding a correctly working starting point is not the question here. It is finding subfolders under subfolders. If the exclude filter already supports richer regex features than are shown in the examples, then I might be able to find a solution, if anyone knows.

I wrote a batch script that generates a list of all the folders to exclude, but that would still require manually updating the exclude filter before every run. Trying to avoid that.