<Item not existing> to the right but while copying from the left : ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS

Get help for specific problems

Alomphega

Hello,

I have a (Windows chkdk) repaired disk with some "0 bites" repaired files on it.

When I try to update this disk (put on the right within FreeFileSync) with one from the left, after [Compare] I see some <Item not existing> files on the right, but while [Synchronize] is copying from the left the same file, FreeFileSync tell me "ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS" and the file does not copy itself on the right. (I hope my explanations are clear enough).

What can I do to copy these files to the right ?

Thank you very much !
Cordially,
Guy

xCSxXenon

Try to delete them manually from the right side. If chkdsk ran and wasn't able to fix it, you may have a deeper issue, such as a failing drive or permissions issues

Alomphega

Hi xCSxXenon, thanks for your reply... There are too many files to be deleted by hand, and yes, alas, I think you're right, it could be a failing drive issue !

I wonder if there is a way to force the 'copy to the right' function within FreeFileSync ?
(ie : avoiding the "ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS" stop)

This could help me to update my disk in order to clone it for changing the unit.

xCSxXenon

Such an option wouldn't work. Is this on Windows? Before concluding that it is failing, it may be a case-sensitivity issue. Some file-systems treat "Test.txt" and "test.txt" as different, but Windows doesn't. When you try to sync these two files to an NTFS volume, for example, it will be trying to write two files into the same destination and will throw that error I believe.

As for manually deleting them, you can run a compare in FFS, then select all files in the destination and delete them right from FFS, instead of having to find them manually

Alomphega

Great thank you very much xCSxXenon ! I'll try this ASAP. (and yes, it is on Windows professional)

Alomphega

To answer for others : is was the HD, it was failing. Changed, and all seems to be fine from now.