ENOENT: No such file or directory

Get help for specific problems

mauricev

I ran update from a very large SMB share to an empty APFS volume under Catalina.

FFS reported hundreds of errors like the following:
15:36:51    Error    Cannot read file attributes of "/Volumes/users/Gulinello Lab/marialab/drive/Lundbeck PWD model paper/PWD Model Paper Submit MBP/PWD model Paper refs.Data/PDF/Andréen_2009-1896169728".
This error refers to the source volume. I can’t seem to find this file on either destination or the source.

What might be going on?

xCSxXenon

If you run a compare in FFS, you can then right-click on items on either the left or right side and open the location they are at. Either you will find them or discover that the source is having an issue

mauricev

Unless more files have disappeared, I’d expect it to show no differences. (Remember I don’t see these files in either the source or the destination.) From my perspective, the initial preparation for the update found these files in the source. When it came time to actually copy them, something had happened on the source side such that they went missing and that’s what is triggering these errors. Does this sound like a valid explanation?

therube

I take it that "Andréen_2009-1896169728" is a filename.

Other then that, does the directory tree "/Volumes/ ... /PDF/" actually exist?

mauricev

Yes, but the last part, Andréen_2009-1896169728, doesn’t really. That is, if I do ls on it, I get
turtle:PDF joanfrumkies$ ls -l Andr*
ls: Andréen_2005-2651142912: No such file or directory
ls: Andréen_2006-3758449408: No such file or directory
ls: Andréen_2009-1896169728: No such file or directory
It’s, along with these other two, are in some sort of limbo state.

mauricev

I figured it out. All the “missing” files have at least one accented character in their filename. There must be some mapping translation error in the communication between the Mac and the SMB share.
Site Admin

Zenju

Apple's SMB implementation has many bugs. This is similar to: viewtopic.php?t=7657

Essentially the problem boils down to:

FFS: "Apple SMB, give me a list of file names"
SMB: "Sure, here it is: Â, Ê, Î"
FFS: "Cool, can you give me details about Â, Ê, and Î?"
SMB: What are you talking about!? There are no such files such as Â, Ê, and Î! However I could tell you about A^, E^, I^ though, but you didn't ask!
FFS: FFS!