+1

jmsxl

Yes, please and for Mac OS too.

BazCuda

You mean, like this... :P
FFS.png
FFS.png (398.89 KiB) Viewed 13188 times

xCSxXenon

Shows picture of almost exactly what we want.
Doesn't even hint at how to get it done.
I'm guessing the source code was changed

BazCuda

No, no source code change. It was a long hard trial-and-error process of customising my entire Windows 10 Pro setup to look like this, which in a very small nutshell was...

1. Put Windows 10 into Dark Mode.
2. Put Windows Explorer into Dark Mode.
2. Experiment with altering the RGB colours in [mostly] the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

Some applications are better behaved at using the system-wide colour settings. Others, mostly notably Microsoft's own, completely ignore the settings and do their own thing. Notepad does a combination. I suspect this is why the old Colors Customization facility was removed in Windows - too many of their own applications ignored the settings, especially with the advent of the ubiquitous Ribbon. There are tools which attempt to replicate the old tool, such as "Color Classic" from WinTools.info which was certainly a help up to a point, if nothing else for identifying the required registry keys. I think I also used a bit of WinAero Tweaker at some point.

As I say, you sometimes have to take the rough with the smooth. Occasionally, an application will insist on using black as its text color while at the same time adhering to the background colour from the registry, making text difficult to read. But then, we've all done it...much easier to set label.text.color to clBlack than go digging around in the system settings for the user's preferences, which is what we should have been doing. The majority of the apps I use look good; the others are used so infrequently that a bit of squinting to read the black text is acceptable.

It's all a question of swings and roundabouts. For the most part, FFS is well-behaved except, as you can see (or not) that the MB/s speed in the top graph can't be read, but my chosen text colour looks good on the dark background. On the other hand, the built-in TreeView component in Windows, used by so many apps, is almost always displayed with a white background. Again, FFS bucks the trend, fortunately.

BazCuda

As an addendum, here's an export of my current HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
However, I cannot by any means guarantee that simply applying these colour values will immediately make your setup look like mine. As I said above, it was a trial-and-error process, a bit like trying to fix the kink in a hosepipe - you fix the colours so one app looks good and then discover that another app is completely unusable.

I've renamed the attachment from colors.reg to colors.txt

And an example of Microsoft's software sometimes adhering to their own rules, and sometimes not, often within the same application ! ....
regpad.png
regpad.png (211.54 KiB) Viewed 13183 times
Attachments
Colors.txt
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
Site Admin

Zenju

For the most part, FFS is well-behaved except, as you can see (or not) that the MB/s speed in the top graph can't be read BazCuda, 09 Sep 2019, 15:04
Inded, fixed for the next release!

In general, FFS is using system colors everywhere. The only reason why "Dark Mode" support for FFS on Windows 10 is not available right now is that Microsoft has decided to limit its support to Windows Store apps, while leaving Win32 apps out in the dark.

samkatakouzinos

"out in the dark"
I see what you did there… :)

tfa

dark mode +1

rrhobbs

Dark mode / theme +1

Hersir

Dark Mode / Them +1

woody

Dark mode +1

el_beaver

Dark mode +1 from me too!

Synchronizator

+1

And there is also this topic about dark mode: viewtopic.php?t=6954

Hersir

+1

And there is also this topic about dark mode: viewtopic.php?t=6954 Synchronizator, 29 Aug 2023, 08:34
For what it's worth, here it is a specific request.

moongate

Dark Mode / Theme +1

Hersir

Dark Mode / Theme +1

moongate

When I posted to this thread 3 days ago there have already been 3.5k views on this topic.
3 days later we are hitting 4k.

While I understand there are a lot of priorities in terms of feature requests to FFS, this is already one of the most viewed topics that is still receiving regular updates and has not been implemented already..

While in the past dark mode was just a nice to have, more and more oled and mini-led monitors are available at resonable prices.

So dark mode becomes mandatory to preserve oled life span as well as avoid sun burn on the retina :-)

With that merry christmas to everyone.

Sander Bouwhuis

Dark mode is incredibly useful, especially when using (very) large monitors. With FFS it's like I'm staring into the sun.

moongate

Microsoft provides support for developers on how to approach dark mode implementation to apps.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/desktop/modernize/apply-windows-themes

But one will need to think about maintaining two UI color schemes moving forward or to implement the method that detects the preference set in windows by the user.

I know we would all like a quick implementation but it seems complicated for the developer to implement it into mature software.

The VLC media player team is struggling with it for years now with their current 3.x version of the player.

At the same time they have an alpha or developer version of VLC 4.0 available which comes with dark mode as standard.

But then again it is a complete re-write of the VLC player and while it has dark mode it now lacks a lot of feature already available in 3.x

Maybe it is just a time and skill thing at this point.

Synchronizator

[...]
The VLC media player team is struggling with it for years now with their current 3.x version of the player.
[...] moongate, 15 Jan 2024, 20:11
For the longest time the sole developer of Mp3tag said no to implementing dark mode due to inability of re-writing so much code

And then, one day, its community got its holy grail just like that, with a brief story about past failures in implementing this feature

TonyFFS

Oh man, this would be an incredibly useful feature. On my 32" screen, every time I open FreeFileSync I have to put on sun glasses!

moongate

Thank your for another great release (13.4) and another vote for darkmode for us oled and big screen users.

FreeFileLove

BTW, I realize this won't help most people here, but if it helps anyone, FreeFileSync supports dark themes quite well in Windows 7. You just create a dark theme for the OS, and FreeFileSync will use that dark theme.