Dark mode

Discuss new features and functions

homer.simpson

Hello,
great program!!

Will you implement a dark mode? I would really appreciate that!!!

Radish

"Dark Mode"? Dark mode of what? What do you mean? You haven't said anything about what you are referring to.

homer.simpson

Hello Radish,

thanks for the reply!
With dark mode I mean something like Win10 natively offers for its apps,
i.e. an user interface with White text over Dark gray bagkground (instead of black on white like now FFS is).

Best regards,
Marco

awvalenti

Hello! I'd appreciate a dark mode, too.

I was going to post links to dark modes sample images, but got a "Listen, Spammer" notice. So, please, visit DuckDuckGo or Google and search for "Windows dark mode" :).

mbrass

"Added image outlines for improved dark mode support", from the latest 10.23 changelog.

However, I can't seem to find a "Dark mode" option, not on Windows anyway. My system is set to dark mode, should it be automatic?

mbrass

Currently on 11.3 . It works great as usual, but still no dark mode on Windows :-(

Any particular reason why?

Plerry

Why waste effort on cosmetics?
Better spend that time on (even further) improving or adding functionality!

xCSxXenon

I believe Mac OS has dark mode supported, hence the changelog. No news for Windows though. Would be nice, but not really a big deal as I don't spend much time in the GUI.

mbrass

Why waste effort on cosmetics?
Better spend that time on (even further) improving or adding functionality! Plerry, 02 Nov 2020, 11:38
I wholeheartedly agree, but:

1 - The Linux (and Mac?) version does have a dark mode, so the groundwork may be done already.
2 - This is a personal thing, but I'm willing to buy the Donation Edition again if it's implemented :-P

nurbles

Why waste effort on cosmetics? Plerry, 02 Nov 2020, 11:38
"Cosmetics" can be extremely important to vision-challenged users. If the "standard" dark mode cannot be implemented -- and it seems like a real P.I.T.A. (I tried to do it for one of my native win32 apps) except for UWP apps -- perhaps options to choose colors and fonts could be added instead. Then we could at least set it up for our favorite mode.

Does anyone actually switch dark mode on/off every day and work in both modes?

GiulioP

I was about to start a new 3d asking about a possibility of having a dark mode theme for FFS .... and someone else already asked that! is it an option which is taken under consideration? thanks!

xCSxXenon

A lot of times colors aren't hard-coded, but pulled from OS colors. So if a color is decided from "title color" in Windows 10, it would be black. From some 'hacked' together dark modes I have seen, that is likely the case, which means changing it isn't isn't as simple as color selection. I'm all for dark mode, but not when there are more critical changes to be made, for a one-person team. In time hopefully

Oravendi

I would like to see a Dark Theme also. I know from a functional point it doesn't improve how the program works but it makes it more enjoyable to use with windows 10. As programmers it's easy to overlook how a program looks but this is such a great program, why not make it a outstanding program? Thanks.

max5637

Dark Theme please.

Let's give a fresh, moderm and eye saving Dark look to FreeFileSync. Dark Theme is the future and more than that protect eyes. I have Dark Theme on everything I can both on PC and smartphone and when I open FreeFileSync is a punch in the eye with all that light on my 27" monitor. Eyes come first. Let's move FreeFileSync out from 1990 and move to 2020 decade ... or you prefer to have your great piece of software looks old and obsolete?

metisit

+1 for dark mode / honor windows system settings

max5637

Eyes health is not cosmetic. My life changed after moving from Light to Dark Mode. I am committed to switch off as many pixels as possible on my screen.

woody

Eyes health is not cosmetic. My life changed after moving from Light to Dark Mode. I am committed to switch off as many pixels as possible on my screen. max5637, 17 May 2021, 11:16
I absolutely second that.
Dark Mode would be a very welcome addition indeed.

domag

Hello,
"Dark Mode" is more comfortable and healthier for the eyes. No matter the environment is light or dark. Dark Mode is also energy-saving and even more beautiful. The option to set a software to dark should actually be made mandatory. :) Most professional software vendors have been doing it for a long time. But FreeFileSync is still a great software and you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, thank you very much!

max5637

I agree FreeFileSync is a great software. For such reason we should all send requests to help the Developer Team to make it even better. It is not a critic. It is a help.

gobsmacked

+1 for dark mode!

Schurn

+10.000.000.
for DARK MODE.

Some posts ago, someone mentioned a dark mode in mac os - really true? (Can't find it - Catalina 10.15.7, system is on dark mode but ffs is brighter than 1000 stars...)

Greets,
Shurn

Orko

Next +1 for dark mode for Windows👍

Please, a dark mode would make FreeFileSync perfect! I don't like bright white screens. It feels like they are yelling at me...

Hersir

+1 for dark mode 👍

domag

A Dark mode seems to be difficult to insert in a software. Or it certainly costs a lot of hours of work. If that should be the problem for a great added value that makes a software much better and more professional, then I would like to propose a little fundraising campaign for that. ? This feature would be worth something to me personally...

Schurn

If it is really a question of manpower, I would certainly agreee to the idea of fundraising.
Any proposals?

domag

I have now simply donated another five Euros. With the request for Darkmode. But also with a thanks to all the already existing software. Done! This should not be a demand, but a legitimate incentive and I hope this does not seem arrogant or something. It should not seem now as if you can have everything for money. Really makes sense but only if others also act so...

max5637

Could please the Main Architect reply about Dark Mode? Are you willing to develop it? Thanks

gobsmacked

+1 for dark mode
I'm sure a lot of users prefer dark mode but don't post here.
From what I read in some articles dark mode isn't a quick task, but it can be done if the developers find a good incentive.

max5637

A good incentive should be keep the product up to date with latest trends and users preferences.

xCSxXenon

For free? Nah, working on the bugs/issues that are currently present is a way better idea.