Syncing files to an Android phone issue

Get help for specific problems

DHG

Ok, so my PC is my main storage for everything.
Primary backup is my NAS. FFS handles this just fine.

I don't stream so I have all my music on my phone.
I got the Samsung S22 when it came out and instead of conveniently inserting my SD card that I've used for years I had to copy 80 gig or MP3's to my phone. This is where the problem starts.
I copied my library to my phone fine but the issue is when I went to make my first update.

FFS wanted to re-copy my entire 80gig library.
I finally pinned it down to the fact that when I copied the files to my phone Android did not use the proper 'date modified' 'date created' times on the files.
Looking at the files on my phone the 'Date Modified' is set as the time I copied to the phone.
The 'Date Created' has no information whatsoever.

If I copy from hard drive to hard drive or over to my NAS or even as SD card both of those fields stay the same on the destination drive.
The only time I've ever had this problem is with my Samsung phone.

I tried zipping a small folder of music files for a test. Copied the zip file to the phone and unzipped on the phone. It did keep the dates in the modified field, however the 'time' was offset by 1 hour for each file. This seemed weird since it kept the date.
And even if it worked the .rar workaround would only be effective the first time... as the first time FFS makes changes/additions the new files will copy and have the original problem.
And since I make frequent updates to my music library this isn't acceptable.

So while my problem is actually seems to be an Android issue I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here. I did post in an Android forum but didn't have any luck.

Also I know 'compare by file content' would work... waiting and hour+ every time I want to update my files is unrealistic.

Thanks for any help!

Plerry

> ... however the 'time' was offset by 1 hour for each file.
Most likely a Daylight Saving Time related issue.

Assuming that you do not have identically named song files with different/modified contents, you may be able to define a Custom sync variant (as opposed to using the Two way, Mirror or Update variant).

Assuming your PC is left and your Android phone is right, you could use a Custom sync definition of
Category: "Item exists on left side only"; Action: "Copy new item to right"
Category: "Left side is newer"; Action: "Do nothing"
Category: "Conflict/item cannot be categorized"; Action: "Leave as unresolved conflict"
Category: "Right side is newer"; Action: "Do nothing"
and for the last Category: "Item exists on right side only"; Action:
either "Copy new item to left", "Do nothing" or "Delete right item", depending on your use/preference

The "Do nothing" actions in bold should prevent the unintended re-copying of files that are already on your phone.

DHG

> ... however the 'time' was offset by 1 hour for each file.
Most likely a Daylight Saving Time related issue.

Assuming that you do not have identically named song files with different/modified contents, you may be able to define a Custom sync variant (as opposed to using the Two way, Mirror or Update variant).

Assuming your PC is left and your Android phone is right, you could use a Custom sync definition of
Category: "Item exists on left side only"; Action: "Copy new item to right"
Category: "Conflict/item cannot be categorized"; Action: "Leave as unresolved conflict"
Category: "Right side is newer"; Action: "Do nothing"
and for the last Category: "Item exists on right side only"; Action:
either "Copy new item to left", "Do nothing" or "Delete right item", depending on your use/preference

The "Do nothing" actions in bold should prevent the unintended re-copying of files that are already on your phone. Plerry, 04 Apr 2022, 07:34
Ok, so yeah, no two files are named the same. Folder structure is
Artist/Album/<track number> - <title>.mp3/FLAC

My PC is on the left mirroring to the Android on the right

Looking at what you wrote above shouldn't
shouldn't that be "update right item"
Since when I initially copy to my phone my phone uses the current date. So if the left side is newer that means I must have updated the file... This could happen if I would update with ID tag changes for example.

Actually... just did a quick compare with that and that looks like it should solve the issue.
I have to leave right now but I'll run this tonight to confirm.

Thank you very much!!

Plerry

I wrote:
>> Assuming that you do not have identically named song files with different/modified contents ...
And you wrote:
> So if the left side is newer that means I must have updated the file...
> This could happen if I would update with ID tag changes for example.

So, your use-case does not meet my initial presumption.
But very likely your proposal for Category: "Left side is newer";
Action: "Do nothing" => "Update right item"
should then do the trick.

Regarding the 1 hour difference (DST?):
You could still choose to ignore a 1 hour time difference.

sirgus

Hi there.
Same problem here.
I am using FFS and I am really pleased.
I have tried to synchronize my pc with my new Samsung S6 lite.
Everything was ok (about 10 Gb synced) since I tried to use it again after some days.
A new transfer of all these 10 Gb. Impossible to wait over 15 mins everytime to do that.

Any ideas please?

DHG

Hi there.
Same problem here.
I am using FFS and I am really pleased.
I have tried to synchronize my pc with my new Samsung S6 lite.
Everything was ok (about 10 Gb synced) since I tried to use it again after some days.
A new transfer of all these 10 Gb. Impossible to wait over 15 mins everytime to do that.

Any ideas please? sirgus, 06 Feb 2023, 15:34
Follow the instructions in the previous posts. That has been working fine for me since.
The real problem stems from the idiots at Samsung removing the SD card... on my previous phone all my music and photos were stored on an SD card and FFS worked perfect with it. Now that I have an S22 and I'm stuck with internal storage only I have to use the above method. Something along the lines of the time stamps on the Android device.
I have an older LG that I use as an MP3 player and it has an SD card... FFS still works just as well with that as with a PC hard drive.

sirgus

Hi again.

I think that I can't clarify the exact method. I would really appreciate if you have the time to explain it .

Thanks a lot

DHG

Hi again.

I think that I can't clarify the exact method. I would really appreciate if you have the time to explain it .

Thanks a lot
[/quote]

Make your sync settings like this... lemme know if it works

https://i.imgur.com/FYriAGR.png

sirgus

So simple!
Thanks ! :)