Dark mode

Discuss new features and functions
Site Admin

Zenju

Microsoft is pushing hard promoting their "UWP-Apps", which is getting all the latest Windows features, like dark mode. Win32 is left by the wayside, with only the bare minimum support. 'Missing dark mode support' is a deliberate problem to push developers away from Win32:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/issues/19223

arland

Microsoft is pushing hard promoting their "UWP-Apps", which is getting all the latest Windows features, like dark mode. Win32 is left by the wayside, with only the bar minimum support. 'Missing dark mode support' is a deliberate problem to push developers away from Win32:
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/issues/19223 Zenju, 27 Nov 2022, 17:47

therube

(I'll simply state that "Dark" does not work, for me.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1792047)

Dan_Agaf

+1. I support dark mode/theme

KevCarrico

+1 i support dark mode... thank you for this amazing program!

born2code

+1 for a dark theme/mode.
After 50 years of coding, my eyes really don't cope well with all that white around.

KuroOneHalf

I'd also like to join others in requesting a dark mode. As someone who spends a lot of time at the computer, bright programs and sites are quite uncomfortable to use, and dark mode is much more comfortable. Almost everything I use regularly has dark mode. This is one of the last programs to lag behind. I'd happily donate again if it helped push this up in the priority queue.

littlepeter

Yes, this is a amazing update. +1 for a dark theme mode on Free File Sync.

markabx

For what it is worth. I would also like to request a Black Mode. For years I have lived on Samsung's Dark Mode, and Samsung Internet & Firefox Ad-Free Apps.

It is such a pleasure to not see any more ads, and to have a black background.

RoiJaune

No ads, free, fast, easy to use, light with many options... Free Sync is an excellent tool! Thank you!
Probably the best sync software I tested! Only one option is missing: the dark mode!
Like many people I work in a dark environment and this option will help me to save my eyes ;)
Another idea: it would be awesome to change the iconset for the buttons! (Like we can do it in winrar for example)

zlagos

It is a very big failure that there is no dark mode. It should be implemented as soon as possible. It's the only app I use that doesn't have it.
And I suggest that it should only be available to those who contribute donations. It would be one more incentive.
In the many years I have been using this program, this is the first time I have requested something.
I wouldn't do it if I didn't need to, I have vision problems, I'm an elderly person and white damages my old eyes.

Synchronizator

[...]
I have Dark Theme on everything I can both on PC and smartphone and when I open FreeFileSync is a punch in the eye with all that light
[...] max5637, 01 Apr 2021, 07:46
Me too

c0rupted

I'd really LOVE a dark theme.

domag

Technically, this is not a big problem. Unfortunately, the developer does not see the need here. So that's it, bad luck...
Site Admin

Zenju

Technically, this is not a big problem. Unfortunately, the developer does not see the need here. So that's it, bad luck... domag, 15 Jul 2023, 22:25
Really not a technical problem??? Tell me, how do you implement dark mode cross platform (Windows, Linux, macOS) when using the wxWidgets toolkit?

domag

I don't mean a toggle switch anymore. Just everything permanently darker. No big tech. Problem.

woody

I don't mean a toggle switch anymore. Just everything permanently darker. No big tech. Problem. domag, 16 Jul 2023, 12:22
I would absolutely support that; just permanently in dark mode. This is where most applications are headed nowadays in general, and for a good reason.
Site Admin

Zenju

Even such a brute force method (which is a terrible solution IMO), wouldn't be enough as most colors are taken over from the OS color theme (which BTW is never dark for Win32 apps such as FFS, no matter the dark mode setting of the OS). So you'd have to (try[!] to) overwrite and hard-code each an every color, and the app would look like crap cross-platform.

domag

The application already looks bad now. But it already works very well...Thanks again...

xCSxXenon

lol It doesn't look bad at all, just not as good as dark mode would look
No dark mode is better than bad dark mode though

el_beaver

I upgraded to the Donation Edition hoping to get Dark Mode on Windows. I hope it will be implemented soon, and thank you for this amazing piece of software. Will make another donation when this is enabled. :D
Thank you!!!

RoiJaune

I upgraded to the Donation Edition hoping to get Dark Mode on Windows. I hope it will be implemented soon, and thank you for this amazing piece of software. Will make another donation when this is enabled. :D
Thank you!!! el_beaver, 28 Jul 2023, 21:44
Idem for me!
I'll be glad to make another donation as soon a dark mode is avalaible. Or...Being a graphic designer I propose to exchange logo, icons or splash screens for a dark mode! :)

c0rupted

Thank you!!! el_beaver, 28 Jul 2023, 21:44
I wish the Donated Edition actually had a Dark Mode option. I donated as well, but still can't get dark mode on Windows platform.

It would be nice if the Site Admin/Dev would at least comment on all of this, and why exactly it is still lacking.

Hersir

To those in favour, it would be helpful to cast your vote here @ viewtopic.php?p=40199#p40199

FreeFileLove

I, too, would very much like to use FreeFileSync in dark mode. Literally all my other software supports dark mode.

Someone in the first page of this thread said that dark mode works in Linux. I'm using the Flatpak of FreeFileSync 13.4 on Linux Mint Cinnamon, but FreeFileSync is not dark themed. All other apps are, however. Have others somehow gotten this to work?

For me, dark theme is a health issue and a necessity.