commercial use

Get help for specific problems

meinereiner

We would love to use your great tool FreeFileSync in our company.

According to the FAQ*, however, an automated installation (silent install) is only possible with the "Donation Edition", which in turn is only intended for private use. Without the possibility of a silent installation, however, practically no commercial use is possible.
At the same time, your great tool could also be promoted through company use for private use by employees.

We would be very grateful if you could offer us an edition for commercial use with which a silent install is possible. Gladly also against payment/donation.

* Source: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php

Is FreeFileSync free for commercial use?
Yes, FreeFileSync may be used in business, commercial, and government environments without cost. This however does not apply to the "FreeFileSync Donation Edition" which is intended for private use only.

Is FreeFileSync free for commercial use?
Yes, FreeFileSync may be used in business, commercial, and government environments without cost. This however does not apply to the "FreeFileSync Donation Edition" which is intended for private use only.

May I distribute the FreeFileSync installation package?
You are permitted to distribute the software subject to the following conditions:
•The software must be distributed free of charge and
•without modification to the contents of the installer package. Redistributing the installer package with any files added, removed, or modified is prohibited.
•The inclusion of the installer package or any of the included files in a different archive, or in a different installer is forbidden. For example, the integration into a third-party automated installation mechanism is forbidden.
•The FreeFileSync Donation Edition may not be distributed in any way.

How can I install FreeFileSync silently via command line?
The FreeFileSync Donation Edition supports silent installation via the following command line syntax:
FreeFileSync_11.28_[Donation_Edition]_Windows_Setup.exe /silent

We are looking forward to suggestions for solutions.
Many thanks in advance,
Thomas

xCSxXenon

He has stated he has not plans for commercial use support

viewtopic.php?t=9757

meinereiner

The site admin Zenju has written in this topic:
Post by Zenju • 02 Nov 2022, 18:09

The question is, what do companies want to receive in return for the money they pay?

If it is dedicated support, then that's not something I'm offering now or in the forseeable future.
I had read this topic before. However, we are not concerned with support services, but exclusively with the problem that the parameterisation for a silent installation has been deactivated in the installation technology used (InnoSetup) and this prevents deployment and thus use in a corporate environment.

xCSxXenon

Then use the donation edition intended for private use, which supports silent installation
viewtopic.php?t=9757

meinereiner

As this is explicitly forbidden in the FreeFileSync Terms of Use (FAQ), we need explicit permission for security reasons, as otherwise we would be committing a licence violation and would be liable for it.

Because of this, I had also sent this request here in the forum to Zenju by email (zenju [at] freefilesync.org - see FAQ section Troubleshooting ).

xCSxXenon

Understood. You won't get it unfortunately, unless Zenju completely 180's his stance
Site Admin

Zenju

A commercial version for a tool called "FreeFileSync" is a bit like "squaring the circle". There are so many questions:

1. What exactly is it that is being sold, that is not already given away for free?
2. What level of liability does a commercial version need to offer?
3. How would freefilesync.org legally have to restructure to offer such a liability
4. What level of support should be offered/included in a paid-for version?
5. Pricing: How much is the delta (from 1) to regular FreeFileSync worth?

I don't have answers to any of these questions. Therefore it looks to me that a commercial version for "FreeFileSync" doesn't make sense.

xCSxXenon

1. For this specifically, silent installation
2-5: too much to be worth it lol

yneyen

You build a wonderful app, so first, thank you for your amazing work !

Your app is very useful for small businesses. The few features unlocked by the donation edition are very important to us, especially the multi-thread feature (otherwise, the sync is just too slow).

I understand you do not want to sell it to companies. So, it will be great if you just allow your Donation Edition to be used in business. For example, you can prevent business to sell it and enforce using the Donation Edition only internally.

You will have more donation, and small businesses can use your amazing program with all features. I don't see what you would lose.

softpaw87

I would like to second yneyen's point here. Would very much like to have the multi-threaded version available for commercial use for the speed increase. This tool is a wonderful alternative to the Google Drive client.

Software could be supported "as is" with "community based" support via this forum.

There are absolutely complexities when it comes to pricing. Would a business with 100,000+ machines be paying the same as a non-profit with half a dozen endpoints? I suppose this decision would be up to the developer. But how would licensing/enforcement work, if at all? Is it an "honors" system? I know Adobe and Microsoft are generally on this type of system for their large clients, but they do have periodic audits just to be sure people are truing up.

Currently its just two versions of the same app, with some features disabled, which seems pretty straightforward to package and distribute.
Site Admin

Zenju

It wasn't possible before, but now that FreeFileSync 13 has just released, there is finally a version that can be licensed and used by businesses: https://freefilesync.org/business