Feature Request: allow to be prompted for password for SFTP

Discuss new features and functions

AnyOne

It seems that I have to specify my password when syncing with a remote site using SFTP.
For security reasons, I would prefer to just specify the user, but having FreeFileSync prompting me for the password (once per session).

Thanks for considering this.

tft

This has been asked for since 2019 (at least), not sure why it's getting ignored (existing workarounds are hideous).

Take a look at this and this.

Keep asking though in the hopes of getting heard !
Site Admin

Zenju

You've been heard.
FreeFileSync 12.0
-----------------
Don't save password and show prompt instead for (S)FTP

kwill

You've been heard.
FreeFileSync 12.0
-----------------
Don't save password and show prompt instead for (S)FTP
Zenju, 19 Jan 2023, 20:10
Is this feature request still open? I'm interested in making a donation, but my impediment is the fact that I don't have a password so they can't browse my Gdrive folders.

therube

I don't have a password so they can't browse my Gdrive folders
Explain?

You don't have a password to your Google Drive (account)?
And who is "they" that can't browse your folders?

Do you need to allow them permission - on the Google end - in order for them to browse your folders?
IOW, wouldn't you need to share your folders with them?

kwill

Explain?

Do you need to allow them permission - on the Google end - in order for them to browse your folders?
IOW, wouldn't you need to share your folders with them? therube, 29 Aug 2023, 16:51

I'm sorry, I just now realized that my questions were not clear.

What I need is to protect access to my folders on google drive. Because when I connect with FFS, anyone with access to my machine (I have this need) can see and list / compare etc my data in gdrive.

I just want to copy the data to gdrive, but I need a way that other users who access this shared Windows login can't see my folders in gdrive. I thought of a password to open FFS.

xCSxXenon

Donate and use the portable edition of FFS. Store the FFS on a flash drive that you keep with you

kwill

Donate and use the portable edition of FFS. Store the FFS on a flash drive that you keep with you xCSxXenon, 29 Aug 2023, 19:44
The idea is good. But it doesn't suit me. I don't have access to the machine physically. And other people need to access this workstation with a shared user for the time being.

I'll donate it in any case, I use it at home. :)

LeoW

Explain?

IOW, wouldn't you need to share your folders with them? therube, 29 Aug 2023, 16:51

What I need is to protect access to my folders on google drive. Because when I connect with FFS, anyone with access to my machine (I have this need) can see and list / compare etc my data in gdrive.

I just want to copy the data to gdrive, but I need a way that other users who access this shared Windows login can't see my folders in gdrive. I thought of a password to open FFS. kwill, 29 Aug 2023, 16:59

There is a nice open source cloud mount tool that will let you achieve your goal of keeping your personal files on Google Drive safe from coworkers. It's called Rclone.

You set up a configuration that will let you access your Google Drive and be prompted each time for your password this is doable in the software config. You will run the utility and mount your Google Drive to a free drive letter and then run free file sync and then unmount the Google Drive when you're done.
Run
 rclone.exe config
for the interactive config or
rlone.exe  rcd --rc-web-gui
for a new interactive web gui.

kwill

Explain?

I just want to copy the data to gdrive, but I need a way that other users who access this shared Windows login can't see my folders in gdrive. I thought of a password to open FFS. kwill, 29 Aug 2023, 16:59

There is a nice open source cloud mount tool that will let you achieve your goal of keeping your personal files on Google Drive safe from coworkers. It's called Rclone.

You set up a configuration that will let you access your Google Drive and be prompted each time for your password this is doable in the software config. You will run the utility and mount your Google Drive to a free drive letter and then run free file sync and then unmount the Google Drive when you're done.
Run
 rclone.exe config
for the interactive config or
rlone.exe  rcd --rc-web-gui
for a new interactive web gui. LeoW, 01 Sep 2023, 02:05
Excellent. I'm going to look into this tool. I've already seen that it's really interesting.

LeoW

Password for Rclone update:

You're going to want to set what is called a configuration password see the picture:
FFS support delete after posting.png
FFS support delete after posting.png (127.99 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
This can be done by running "rclone config"

kwill

Password for Rclone update:

You're going to want to set what is called a configuration password see the picture:

FFS support delete after posting.png

This can be done by running "rclone config" LeoW, 01 Sep 2023, 22:47
Well done @LeoW. Now my fight is with automation using password. I found some way to do this, but with a password in the settings not yet. rclone is wonderful too.