FreeFileSync reads SFTP timestamps incorrectly (not according to spec)

Get help for specific problems

Mister_Sister

According to the SFTP Spec (https://filezilla-project.org/specs/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02.txt), timestamps "are represented as seconds from Jan 1, 1970 in UTC." And indeed, my server returns UTC timestamps.

The FileZilla client correctly converts the timestamps to local time before displaying them, but FreeFileSync does not convert them, and incorrectly thinks the files have been modified (because it's comparing UTC timestamps to the local timestamps of the current computer's files).
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync also considers SFTP times as in UTC.

Mister_Sister

When hovering the mouse over the file, I see the time in UTC (not converted to my local timezone).

When comparing the SFTP files to my local NTFS files, it compares the local and UTC times as if they were in the same timezone.

That means that even after synchronizing, FreeFileSync always wants to synchronize again.

Plerry

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=daylight-saving-time
This should also work for any (integer) amount of hours time difference between UTC and your local time

Mister_Sister

Good workaround!

I'd still appreciate a fix.

xCSxXenon

That is a fix? It's a native option in the program, meaning it's not a workaround

Mister_Sister

FFS still implements the spec incorrectly behind the scenes - adding a manual offset on top of a wrong timestamp is a workaround (which also means FFS doesn't work out-of-the-box and requires unnecessary tinkering).

xCSxXenon

FreeFileSync also considers SFTP times as in UTC. Zenju, 06 May 2023, 07:15

Mister_Sister

FreeFileSync also considers SFTP times as in UTC. Zenju, 06 May 2023, 07:15
xCSxXenon, 09 May 2023, 14:01
That's false.

My system: Windows 10 64-bit, FFS version 12.2
Site Admin

Zenju

No it's not. Are there any screenshots that demonstrate the problem?

Mister_Sister

I've just reconstructed the setup to screenshot the problem, but now I cannot reproduce it!
The server was probably the one returning the wrong timestamps last week.

Thank you for your time!