What does 'The recycle bin is not available'

Get help for specific problems

Newbietoo

In a Two-Way sync, I received a warning:
The recycle bin is not available for "\\Desktop\d\Folder_name".
Ignore and delete permanently each time recycle bin is unavailable?
Why does FFS need regular access to the Recycle Bin? It is a sync, so it shouldn't be deleting anything should it?

Plerry

Depending on your sync settings, a sync involves copying files (that exist on one side only), overwriting/updating existing files (of which a newer version is present at the opposite side) and/or deleting files (that have been deleted from the opposite side).
And, depending on your Delete and Overwrite settings, pre-existing files that are deleted or overwritten by the FFS sync will be Permanently deleted/lost, will moved to the Recycle bin (if available) or will be moved to the Versioning location. Your choice.

Newbietoo

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply
I'm using two-way sync with file time and size settings.

If file A1 has been deleted, there is no file (thus no date), so how does the sync know that the deletion time of A1 is later than the last change to the other copy A2? That is, changes may have been made to A2 ignorant of the fact that A1 has been deleted (inadvertently, say), so, you would want A2 to 'win' in the next sync and be restored as A1.

Also, why would access to Recycle Bin be denied? I take it that is a system setting somewhere?

Plerry

> how does the sync know that the deletion time of A1 is later than the last change to the other copy A2? ...
> That is, changes may have been made to A2 ignorant of the fact that A1 has been deleted (inadvertently, say), so, you would want A2 to 'win' in the next sync and be restored as A1

FreeFileSync (FFS) use a *.ffs_db database file that stores the file-status of the left, respectively right base location (and its subdirectories) at the end of each sync. When running a new sync, FFS compares the actual file status of each side with the one stored in the database files and is thus aware of changes that have been made to either side since the last sync.
For a Two-way sync, any modification (new, overwritten, deleted) on one side only of any given file will result in the opposite side getting modified accordingly.
If both sides have changed since running the last sync, FFS does not know what to do and takes no sync action. Instead it reports this as a conflict that needs to be resolved manually.

> Also, why would access to Recycle Bin be denied? I take it that is a system setting somewhere?
That one I can't help you with.

Newbietoo

Great, thank you for your help. Now I understand :)