"Leave as Unresolved Conflict" option?

Get help for specific problems

s_decoster

Hi,

I just upgraded from version 12.5 to 13.7.

In 12.5, under the the custom setting, there was an option for difference = "conflict/item can not be categorized" to do "leave as unresolved conflict".

Did this option disappear in 13.7?

In the previous version there were 5 symbols (the unresolved conflict was a fire emoji), but now I only see 4 symbols.

Thanks!
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, the conflict setting is gone.

s_decoster

Are you willing to bring this back? I found it incredibly useful!

What happens now to files that have a conflict?
Site Admin

Zenju

In what way and for what purpose did you find it useful?

What happens now to files that have a conflict? s_decoster, 08 Jul 2024, 20:07
The setting is only regarding file categorization errors, which now have to be resolved manually. Which shouldn't be much of an issue because they are quite obscure.
The exception being file time issues: If both "left newer" and "right newer" point to the same direction, the conflict is automatically resolved.

s_decoster

I am just a bit OCD when it comes to overwriting files. I come from Syncback (on Windows), which had an option to give prompts.

I am a DJ with a file structure like this:

The external drive (is the source) with 100k tracks in folders (think of them as full albums or CDs). My MacBook Pro contains a subset of these tracks and folders (only the tracks worth playing live).

When a file is on my MacBook Pro but not on the external drive, I need to take action because something is wrong in that case.

This could happen when I change the name of a track in my DJ software. In that case, I need to sync the new file name to the external, but I also need to delete the file with the old file name from the external (otherwise I end up with duplicate tracks with a different name).
The exception being file time issues: If both "left newer" and "right newer" point to the same direction, the conflict is automatically resolved.
I will try to see when I used those "leave as unresolved conflict". I can't remember by heart... Maybe when I did some edits on the external AND on the Mac (which I now try to avoid), where both versions of the same track are changed compared to a previous sync session (this could happen when I change the track names of a whole CD on the external, but at the same time I may have added comments in the ID3 tags of a selected track on the MacBook).

s_decoster

I tried to open Version 12.5 just to check if I would see "unresolved conflicts" compared to version 13.7, but when I open 12.5, I get:
Configuration file "/Users/stijn/Library/Application Support/FreeFileSync/2a RBRATED C to Main.ffs_gui" is incomplete. The missing elements have been set to their default values.

The following XML elements could not be read:
<FreeFileSync> <Synchronize> <Variant>
<FreeFileSync> <Synchronize> <DetectMovedFiles>
I get the same error when I click any of the .ffs_gui files in 12.5

When I open 13.7 everything seems ok.

Am I doing something wrong here?

xCSxXenon

Nope, those settings just don't exist anymore so they get reset to the default value when opened in the older version of FFS