docs for how to setup RealTime synch

Discuss new features and functions

photon

I have had great difficulty understanding the docs on how to set up realtime synch so I have written some detailed step by step instructions on exactly how to do this on Windows 11.
There is a zip file here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13gFBINBB23NiJl2cl0rdglr-uSRv31vd/view?usp=sharing

it is too big to attach here. The zip file includes a pdf, mht and onenote formats of the instructions.

The zip file attached here does not include the pdf, to reduce the size.
The zip file includes some example folders and files, unzip into C:temp, create shortcuts in the windows startup folder and you can play with the process. It includes a configuration file for the temp1 folder and another for the temp2 folder so you can see that it is possible to have more than one realtime configuration active at the same time.

Regarding the existing docs, there is a section "RTS run as a service". It's easy to miss this section as lots of people wouldn't know what a service is on Windows and nor should they have to. RealTimeSynch is not even a service - it's a background process, and it's not the least bit obvious that RTS means RealTimeSynch here and the information in this section is quite poor.

Please review and consider adding the instructions that I have written to your website in the RealTimeSynch section.
Attachments
realtime-folder-mirror-example.zip
(352.56 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

photon

If you think it's complete then you have tunnel vision.

xCSxXenon

The only thing you seem to have added is how to get it to start when Windows boots, but that is a Windows-side process.
I'm all for creating clearer/more helpful docs, but I don't see any benefit in anything you've added ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

photon

ok, I take it back. You do not have tunnel vision. You are blind. You are blinded by the fact that you know it all and perhaps by the fact that maybe you wrote the section on realtimesynch. I'm not the only person who struggled to set up realtimesynch and I'm a highly experienced developer with first class comprehension and communication skills.

Also, in case you wrote the software itself, you should change the realtimesynch configuration dialog so that it has a "stop synch" button instead of just silently cancelling the synch when you hit the close button, which is hardly ever gonna be the behavior that the user wants. If you bring up the configuration dialog it's because you wanna inspect the configuration, not because you want to terminate the synch.

Plerry

The only thing you seem to have added is how to get it to start when Windows boots, ...xCSxXenon, 15 Sep 2024, 21:03
Although not on the RealTimeSync (RTS) manual page, even that info is already present not only on the "RTS: Run as a Service" manual page, but also in the RealTimeSync tutorial video. And in the latter case there can be no unclarity about the abbreviation RTS, as that video is called RealTimeSync in full.
... I'm a highly experienced developer with first class comprehension and communication skillsphoton, 16 Sep 2024, 11:07
Well, despite your proclaimed competencies, at least your communication skills clearly could use improvement.
Not only in how you react to the non-offensive, solicited criticism ("Please review ...") in this thread, but also considering the instructions you wrote. Despite your good intentions, those instructions are buggy and illogical in some places.
Last edited by Plerry on 17 Sep 2024, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

xCSxXenon

I'm a highly experienced developer with first class comprehension and communication skills. photon, 16 Sep 2024, 11:07
LOL riiiiight

photon

"buggy and illogical". Surprise, surprise, you give no evidence to back up your rubbish claim.

Watch a tutorial video. Well guess what, I didn't even know you had a tutorial video. Why don't you link to it from your real time synch page. But who the hell wants to watch a tutorial video on a file synch tool.

photon

and surprise, surprise here's another user who found your docs so inadequate he wrote his own
https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/lxe5oa/using_freefilesync_and_realtimesync_with_windows/