Portable FreeFileSync 12.0 gives error on startup

Get help for specific problems

Frederik

After unpacking and starting the portable program from my external SSD, I keep getting the same error message:

Cannot read the file attributes of the file "A:\Portable\FreeFileSync 12.0\Bin\FreeFileSync_x64.exe"
ERROR_DIR_NOT_ROOT: The folder is not a sub-folder of the root folder. [GetVolumeInformation(A:\Portable\)]

After this nothing happens anymore.
2023-02-05_095118.jpg
2023-02-05_095118.jpg (142.5 KiB) Viewed 420 times
With other portable programs I have no problems.
What could be the reason for this error?
Site Admin

Zenju

The fact that the portable version worked for several days at first and that the volume root is incorrectly returned as "A:\Portable" by the system might indicate some kind of data corruption of the SSD. Perhaps a scandisk is able to find and fix issues.

Frederik

The fact that the portable version worked for several days at first and that the volume root is incorrectly returned as "A:\Portable" by the system might indicate some kind of data corruption of the SSD. Perhaps a scandisk is able to find and fix issues. Zenju, 05 Feb 2023, 11:31
If I move that same folder from my portable ssd to my desktop the program does work. But this is not my intention, for that I have the installation version.
So there is no data corruption, there must be some other cause.
Site Admin

Zenju

Moving the app somewhere else does not prove the absence of data corruption on the SSD.

Frederik

A windows scandisk gave no errors on this new SSD.
I renamed the old folder and created a new folder with the old name. To this I moved all the data and it works again.
It must have something to do with this folder.
Currently it is working again.