New to RealTimeSync question

Get help for specific problems

LeoW

Hi,

I'm trying to get RealTimeSync to monitor a folder for changes, and then sync them to a different folder on the same disk after it detects that a file was modified. I'm just getting started and wanted to keep things simple.

In FreeFileSync I created a simple folder sync left to right mirror. Same hard drive, just two different folders. I saved the job as a batch file. When I double click on the batch file it quietly works as intended.

Then, I run the RealTimeSync app and load the batch file as described. It sets up/identifies the two folders to be monitored, and creates what looks to be a valid batch command to run after 10 seconds of inactivity.
The batch file is the same one that works perfectly when run manually.

Then, I click "Start" and confirm via tasks that there are two processes running. One says "Automated Synchronization" and the other is the same with (32 bit) after it.

I then use the notepad app to edit a file in the directory, hit save, exit. Then wait patiently while nothing ever happens.

Any advice for a beginner to automation?

Attached are the FreeFileSync batch pic, and the RealTimeSync config.

Thanks.
Leo
Attachments
RealTimeSync test.png
RealTimeSync test.png (66.98 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Freefilesync test.png
Freefilesync test.png (180.87 KiB) Viewed 349 times

LeoW

UPDATE:
OK, don't know exactly what I did to fix, but local sync is now working as it should.

Now, I'm back to my original problem, in that the exact same source directory won't autosync to a remote SFTP location. The batch file with the SFTP server in it runs perfectly when manually executed. There are no errors, or anything to suggest why it's not working. Same files are being copied, just an SFTP location rather than local folder.

Any ideas?

LeoW

Tried the same thing using Google drive and same results. It works inside FreeFileSync, and also when I manually run the batch file.

RealTimeSync won't run jobs when the destination is either Google or SFTP.

Plerry

> RealTimeSync won't run jobs when the destination is either Google or SFTP.

Neither SFTP, nor Google drive support directory monitoring.
See the third bullet of the RTS limitations.
That is also the message you should get.
RTS should still do a fine job in monitoring for, and detecting local changes.
If all your changes originate locally, and only need to be (one-way) synced to the SFTP location and/or the Google drive location, you only need RTS to monitor for local changes, and you can remove the SFTP or Google drive location from the list of folders to be monitored by RTS.

LeoW

Plerry, THANK YOU!

I removed the Google Drive folder from the pair that was being monitored. The changes don't need to be a two-way sync, so this works in this case.

Changes to the source folder are being propagated to the destination on Google now.

Two-way sync is out when using a remote drive. Oh well.

I'll have to look into configuring a second one-way sync from the other side. Only problem is that the other side might need to be Linux. I have no idea how to make that work automatically.