Moving 30TB of files - how to avoid delete and copy?

Discuss new features and functions

troels

I have 2 NAS drives, both with their top level folders individually mirrored to corresponding folders on GDrive using RealTimeSync and folder monitoring.

I recently increased the capacity of NAS #2 and want to move the contents of NAS #1 to it and use NAS #2 for everything. There are two top-level folders on NAS #1 totalling about 30TB.

Once I have done the move on the NAS drives, I can easily move the folders on GDrive to reflect this. However I suspect my sync job will want to delete and copy the relocated folders from NAS #2. I have detect moves turned on but I don't think it will work in this scenario.

Any ideas how to force FFS to NOT do the delete and copy and to recognise the folders as being in sync already?

Plerry

If you run FFS Mirror or Update syncs without having checkmarked the "Detect moved files" option, FFS will simply compare the (size and date/time) of identically named left and right side files, located in matching relative folders. If those are the same, it will not suggest to delete and copy those files over again.

Similarly, if you run FFS Two-way syncs, or a Mirror or Update sync with the "Detect moved files" option checkmarked, any moves or renames of files or folders, will just be a move or rename, provided the move is within the scope of the sync (e.g. from one folder within the scope of the sync to another folder within the scope of the sync), and obviously only if the file system uses stable file-IDs.