FreeFileSync's 'popup' windows don't appear on Linux

Get help for specific problems

martonlente

Hello,

I installed FreeFileSync (v12.1) from Flathub on openSUSE KDE, and the software's 'popup' windows usually aren't shown. So that when e.g. a sync process is in progress, and an FFS notification fires, the notification's popup window isn't displayed: everything else works as expected, but the 'popup' panel can't be seen. You can cancel the 'invisible' panel by pressing 'Esc', or accept its default button by pressing 'Space' but without seeing the window's content.

The issue can also be tested with the Help -> About panel, which also sometimes isn't shown. (However it works more often than not.)

When launching the Flatpak app from the terminal, I see the following error message, but I'm not sure it's related to the above issue:
Gtk-Message: 09:43:57.252: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
A while ago I also tried the Flatpak version on Fedora GNOME, and I faced exactly the same issue (but then I didn't report the 'bug'). So that the problem might not be specific to the distro or the desktop environment.

Do you have any fixes I should try, or is it a bug on the package level? It'd be really nice to sort this out, as this issue makes the Flatpak practically unusable (even though the core features work, you can't see what's going on when a notification should appear).

Thanks in advance,
Márton Lente

daviank

If this is specific to 12.1 you might want to have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=10103

BTW, there is a link to a patch in it (if you compile from sources)

martonlente

Hello daviank,

Thanks for the quick answer and link to the other thread! I was aware of that one, but not sure it was the same, (as it's technically not a freeze, but the expected behaviour: the modals do block the main window when they pop up, which is normal). Yet, they can't be seen.

The quick workaround suggested in the other topic don't work for me, and I'm not technically skilled enough to patch the app myself. Though I'll look into how I can downgrade to v12.0 with Flatpak – thanks for the tip!

Is there maybe a planned timeframe that the fix will be available as a Flatpak update? (No push, just asking.) Thanks!

Update (2023. 03. 13.): the new Flatpak update resolved the issue in subject. Thanks for the fix!