Seconds in RealTimeSync

Get help for specific problems

Marks

Hello, I have a question about seconds that we put in RealTimeSync.

If we put 120 seconds and the folder that we select is changing, the copy will be done in 120 seconds even if the folder continue to change or every change in the folder will reload the 120 seconds ?
I don't know if you understand my question. Sometimes, files are copied 2 hours after the folder change but I put 120 seconds in RealTimeSync so I want my files to be copied 120 seconds after the folder change even if this folder is always changing.

Thanks you for your help.

Plerry

From the RTS manual page:
... Each time a file or folder is created/updated/deleted in the monitored directories or their sub directories, RealTimeSync waits until a user-configurable idle time has passed in which no further changes were detected, and then runs the command line. This makes sure the monitored folders are not in heavy use when starting a synchronization.
So, if you set your Idle Time to 120 seconds, RTS will only trigger the specified application, normally FFS, 120 seconds after not any further file change occurred in the RTS monitored folder(s). So, not 120 seconds after "some" file changed, but 120 seconds after the last file, any file, changed.
If your monitored folder is having "continuous" changes (any change!) (in your case: at least one change every 120 seconds), RTS will never launch FFS.
It may then be better to run FFS as a Scheduled Task.

Marks

Thank you for your reply.

So in my case, if I want to continusly monitor a folder I need to create a schedule task ?
My solution use a Python script who is excecuted when the folder changing. The script copy all the change between 2 folders but sometimes when a file is created in the first folder, the copy was done 2 hours after his creation. And also RTS crash on some PCs. I will try to optimise my script and to setup a schedule task.

xCSxXenon

Yes, if you cannot get an adequate idle time, you should just set up a scheduled task that runs periodically

Plerry

> So in my case, if I want to continusly monitor a folder I need to create a schedule task ?

Obviously, a Schedules Task does not "continuously monitor" a folder, but will only run (FFS in this case) at discrete times or events.
But for folders of which the content is continuously changing (i.e. within any reasonable Idle Time), RTS is no option, and a Scheduled Task is.
Or, of course, some self-created custom solution, like a user-script.

Marks

> So in my case, if I want to continusly monitor a folder I need to create a schedule task ?

Obviously, a Schedules Task does not "continuously monitor" a folder, but will only run (FFS in this case) at discrete times or events.
But for folders of which the content is continuously changing (i.e. within any reasonable Idle Time), RTS is no option, and a Scheduled Task is.
Or, of course, some self-created custom solution, like a user-script. Plerry, 15 Mar 2023, 09:21
So to be sure I understand. The 120 seconds that I put in RTS working like if there is no modification of my folder, the command line will excecute my command but if my folder is continuslly changing, RTS will add unlimited seconds until the folder is no changing. That's right ?

The problem with schedule task is that my python script is a little bit energyvore for my PC and at the same time the PC runs test that use much ressources. So this option is not really good for my solution.
In addition, my solution don't use FFS. I use RTS to scan a folder and when this folder changing, the command line excecute a python script to copy specified files into specified folder.

Plerry

> So to be sure I understand. ... That's right ?

Yep! But be aware: this not just applies if you use RTS to run an FFS sync; the same holds if you use RTS to launch e.g. a Python script.
When you would use the Task Scheduler, it will simply run a task (e.g. FFS or a Python script) at fixed times (e.g. once a day, or every half hour), or based on events like startup, logon, logoff or shutdown.