Run as TrustedInstaller

Discuss new features and functions

LarsErikOsterud

Could we add an option to run copying as "TrustedInstaller".
This is required to copy protected files.
I use "Advanced Run" to run FreeFileSync as TrustedInstaller and this works.
But it would be even easier if you could choss this inside FreeFileSync.

Plerry

Obviously that is not possible.
If whatever program would be able to elevate itself to Administrator / TrustedInstaller, that would pose an enormous security risk.

LarsErikOsterud

Possible it is. As "Advance Run" does it. And any program that run as "Administrator" can.
Of course this can only be done if the programs is run as an "Administrator".
And then you will get a warning about that before running the program.

xCSxXenon

Requiring TrustedInstaller to copy files somewhere means someone implemented something very terribly

LarsErikOsterud

I use FreeFileSync to backup system settings/files as well.
And some files cannot be copied using regular "Administrator mode".
This is meant as an option of course. Not as standard settings.

xCSxXenon

You should probably look into a proper system backup utility in my opinion. Something that utilizes VSC or something to create and maintain snapshots or full images of the system. Images are the typically the easiest for complete system backup and recovery. You obviously know your environment better than I do, but restoring "system settings/files" is unlikely to work as expected in my experience. As an Avid FFS user, I wouldn't recommend it for anything beyond file backup(s) and would never use it for anything remotely close to a system backup

LarsErikOsterud

Of course I have that as well. I do a full image of my drives.
But I like to do file backups as well. And FreeFileSync is great.
But then it's sad that some files in some folders cannot be copied
(and it's strange where those files can be, can be in your roaming profile for an app).

Plerry

Possible it is. As "Advance Run" does it. And any program that run as "Administrator" can ... LarsErikOsterud, 11 May 2023, 14:23
I disagree.
What you are asking is that a program (in casu FFS) would be able to elevate its own rights while already launched with less rights. No program can (nor should be able to) elevate itself while already running.

In order to run with elevated rights, programs need to be explicitly launched/invoked with elevated rights, like Advance Run and Run as Administrator do. This is something outside the program itself.
Site Admin

Zenju

No program can (nor should be able to) elevate itself while already running. Plerry, 15 May 2023, 07:19
Many tools like to circumvent Windows security exactly in this regard, e.g. browsers: They install a "service" process(*) that is always running with admin rights in the background. When the non-elevated browser app wants to update, it redirects to the service and is thous indirectly able to do everthing it wants to without restrictions.

*) edgeupdate (Microsoft), gupdate (Google), MozillaMaintenance etc.

therube

Is "as Admin" sufficient, or do you actually need TrustedInstaller?

What is so bad about, AdvancedRun?
You've set up a desktop shortcut for it anyhow (just like the shortcut for FFS).
You've got to accept a UAC prompt (just like if you were to run FFS "as Admin").

Or are you just looking for something more "transparent"?

As it is, FFS already has a couple of options; Copy locked files, & Copy DACL... that require you to (manually) run the program "as Admin". (And in that respect... even if it were "transparent", you still have to manually run FFS "as Admin" [if it had such a "trustedinstaller" option].)

---

MozillaMaintenance (AFAIK) is nothing more then a glorified UAC prompt bypass (so in that respect, is an absurd "feature" in any case). [And yet, since it is there, I'm sure 99.9% of Mozilla installers install that service (cough, "feature"). I don't.]

---

Everything can install a service, where the Everything service runs "as Admin", but the GUI program itself runs at a user level (much safer, obviously, & likewise, anything run from the GUI also runs at the user level).

Or Everything (GUI) can be run (with or without the service), "as Admin". And with that, anything spawned from Everything runs at an Admin level (rather then user, so, dangerous).

In #1, as Admin, one can actually Edit a file, where
In #2, one can only see that the file exists.
Everything - run as Admin, or not.png
Everything - run as Admin, or not.png (40.33 KiB) Viewed 1584 times

wohlfelder

I launch FreeFileSync with Admin rights from the Total Commander taskbar using nircmd elevate which works well for me. I can't see why TrustedInstaller status should ever be needed for copying regular files around...