newbie Question

Get help for specific problems

jwj74

Hey everyone, sorry about this... I assume that this question has been asked a lot, but I was unable to find a post that showed my specific question:

I want to be able to sync data between different servers in different locations...

Can FFS use IP addresses to transfer data??? And more clearly, can it use public IP addresses??

xCSxXenon

If it can be reached via File Explorer, FFS can use it

LeoW

You have options:
1. if you have the ability and permission to do port forwarding on the external router you can designate an inbound port that forwards to the machine that you want to communicate with and all you need is the external IP address and port number.

2. You can create a private internet tunnel using free software. Nord vpn offers a Technology called Meshnet for free to everybody. you can create a private peer to peer tunnel over the Internet between the two machines that you want to talk to with free file sync.

3. You can create an encrypted tunnel using SSH Protocol and you will still have to port forward at the router but it will be encrypted end to end.

4. Free file sync supports SFTP which is a part of SSH so if you have SSH server running on one of the machines or both of the machines and you know their external IP address and port number for forwarding you can do it that way also.

I know how to do each of these, and can/will Answer any technical questions you have about implementing any one of the solutions. Personally I use number two Nord vpn meshnet (free). there's another open source software program that I use regularly called syncthing. It is a peer to peer open source synchronization program and it operates really really well over meshnet.

Hope this helps.