SOLVED: New version 12.3 automatically updates my .ffs_gui config files?

Get help for specific problems

mingle

Hi,

Just a minor one, I just noticed that after running the latest FFS (12.3) for the first time, about 22 out of my total of 39 .ffs_gui files have been updated/changed automatically.

What changes were made?

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on 25 May 2023, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.

xCSxXenon

How did you come to that determination?

bgstack15

I haven't examined the latest version, but I know that the config files themselves are versioned at least for config-version. Perhaps FFS 12.3 updated to a newer version of the config file (which determines which attributes about the sync job are stored, as the app has added features over time), and when you use a config file it tends to update that config-version automatically. The config files are just xml files. You can inspect one and check it out for yourself.

mingle

@xCSxXenon - when I ran the new version, it highlighted 22 FFS config-files and changed/updated. I hadn't changed, or even loaded, any of these config files.

mingle

@bgstack15,

Most likely. The curious thing was that it only auto-updated about half of my config files. Presumably the other ones didn't have the setting/attribute that needed to be updated?

I suspect the only difference in the config files, is that some (all?) of the ones that were updated had the "Synchronisation Settings > Synchronisation > Detect moved files" flag enabled?

I haven't confirmed this - it's not a huge deal, just haven't noticed this happening with any previous updates to FFS
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, FreeFileSync updates config files automatically when loading them, each time a new file version is available. This was the case in FFS 12.4 with the "Notes" XML element.

mingle

@Zenju, Cool, thanks for the prompt feedback. Cheers, Mike.